Bug in the software or me? Please help.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leon Rudan
Company Name: Cornermark Design

Bug in the software or me? Please help.

Post by Leon Rudan »

I'm a newbie and could just be doing something wrong, but I've spent a couple hours on this and still can't make it work.

I have a very simple sink cabinet which I modified slightly (only to take out a nailer and indent the back differently). I am now trying to change the reveals on the fixed drawer face and 2 doors below. But, it will only do part of what I want and also drops the drawer a fair bit which I did not ask it to do. Attached is a Sink Base before and Sink Base After eCabinet files and jpgs.

I load a new cabinet, Sink Base, and then to change the reveals I go to the

Door/Drawer Editor
click right door to hilight it
click Construction Setting
click Add Door/Drawer Settings
change only the Door Hinge Side Reveal to 0 and the Door Bottom Reveal to 0
Click OK

And it does something totally unexpected and unwanted. It drops the drawer face down from what was a 0.25" reveal to what seems like almost an inch, even though I didn't ask it to. I then click MAIN and check what has happened. The bottom reveal on the right door changed to 0 but the hinge side reveal did not change to 0 as I specified but stayed the same. I checked the distance that the top fixed drawer face moved down and it is now 0.8324" from the top or 0.5824" farther down from where it was before at 0.25", so that the top fixed drawer face actually overlaps the doors, which I didn't think was even possible to do. The same thing happens if I start from scratch and click the 2 doors instead of just one. Also, If I start from scratch and click on all 3 (drawer and 2 panels) and change the reveals on the doors as above and also the left and right reveal on the drawer to 0 then almost everything changes like I want it to and the drawer does not drop down, but the right door hinge side reveal stays where it is and doesn't change to 0.

Does anyone know why this is happening? What am I doing wrong (this time, lol)? Thanks.
Sink Base.hsf
(468.02 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Sink Base After.hsf
(468.02 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Sink Base.jpg
Sink Base.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
Sink Base After.jpg
Sink Base After.jpg (15.6 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Bug in the software or me? Please help.

Post by Daniel Odom »

You'll have to delete the doors/drawers in this case, and setup the parameters before adding them. Drawer/Door size is determined by opening sizes and reveals. No idea why you have to do it this way but I made a spreadsheet that calculates this for simple cabinets. Saves me time instead of going back and forth between editors.
Leon Rudan

Post by Leon Rudan »

Thanks, so I take it then that there is something in this cabinet, which is the 'Sink Base 24' cabinet that I downloaded from the ESL6872 library when you load eCabinets, that is making these doors and drawer face act this way? I did notice that if I deleted the shelf that sits between the drawer and door faces that that drawer and door face deletes too because I made them hidden so I could delete the shelf but they don't come back when I restore all.

It seems the concept of eCabinets is that you can only modify cabinets that are already in the library to what you want. You cannot start from scratch. Is this true? If so then I don't understand what the use is of some of the libraries if some of the cabinets in them cannot be modified to what you want.

Also, I understand that door sizes, etc, are determined by reveals I still don't understand why the reveals won't modify. Aren't they supposed to? What switches in the program are not allowing this and are making the drawer behave in such an odd way? Am I going to have to delete doors and drawers every time I need to change them?
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

Nothing special about that cabinet, just the nature of the program. Opening size is determined by box opening and fixed shelves/partitions. If you delete a fixed shelf/partition with an associated part the drawer/door will be removed. You basically need to know what reveals you want before hand, if you have to change them then you will prob. have to delete the doors/drawers and start over. That's why you should determine your parameter before adding them so you don't have to try and remember your settings over and over when you need to change something. You cannot start from scratch but you don't need to, you can modify existing cabinet from those libraries, it just has to be done in a certain order and method. Watching the videos is prob. the quickest way to learn as it would take a long time to explain everything, hopefully this clears up a little confusion though.

This is one of the more frustrating aspects of the program though and it would be better if the door/drawer sizes determined the opening and not vice versa. There is prob. some reason it is the way it is but the parametric logic is prob. too mind boggling for me to comprehend.
Leon Rudan

Post by Leon Rudan »

Thanks for your explanation. I have watched all of the videos twice, but did not grasp the concept that it was possible to preset the relationship between doors, drawer faces and shelves such that changing the reveals did not change them. I would like to know what setting that is in case I encounter it in the future, or is there a way to turn it off when loading a cabinet from a library?

Anyway I deleted the drawer face, doors and shelf and created new ones that worked minus the stretcher/shelf at the bottom of the fixed drawer panel which is there for added stability I guess (not sure if I need one on a 3/4" thick base sink carcass, do I?)