Import from excel in batch section

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Import from excel in batch section

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

When I make 5 piece shaker style doors I have to manually enter the panel sizes into a batch. (I have a cabinet that just has a door that I use for this purpose). I just noticed the "Import from Excel" button in the batch cabinets section.

I've read the help info and have what I think is a properly formatted excel file.

Figured this would be pretty slick. Save the cut list, copy the panel sizes to a new file, save as XLS and import into the batch.

Problem is it fails to import. error on each line.

If anyone has experience with this a would take a look at my file, I'd appreciate it.
Attachments
Batch Import.xls
(31 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Import from excel in batch section

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Ray
You need to have the name in the directory the same as the name of the library that the cabinet is stored in in eCabinets see pix
I replaced the Directory name that you have in the file that you posted with the name of the library That the cabinet /panel is stored In my program as well as the cabinet/Panel name and every thing worked fine.
One thing that I have found is that if you are using a spread sheet with formulas to calculate the panel and or cabinet sizes or if you have mutable worksheets with data in the workbook that the data is in you will need to copy and paste the data to a new workbook (Paste values only no formulas)Then save as a Excel 97-2003 Workbook. At least that is how I do it.
If the cabinet is located in a sub folder For example you might have a folder named doors and in that folder you might have one named mdf doors and another named 5 piece doors and the panel is in the 5 piece door folder the Directory name in excel would be "doors-5 piece doors" (without the" ").Hope this helps.
Attachments
ExportToBatch.png
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Thanks Scott,

Another thing it doesn't like is a cabinet with everything deleted except the door. I just remade the cabinet putting the parts back on and it works like a charm. This will save a ton of time and human mistakes (the fat finger effect)!!
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

That’s funny because the P25doorPanelstock that I used was a cabinet back with every thing deleted except for the back, I would have thought the same would work for a door only.
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Don't change what you have, If it works don't try to fix it!!!!!

What I've got I just choose the door material at the controller and away I go.

For MDF flat pane doors, I'm using a slab door and making a pocket in part editor and then my settings at then controller use a 1/8" bit for cleanup on the corners. It leaves a little nub to break off and sand , but nothing big. Do you have a different process?

Thanks for your help
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

We use a cabinet back for our 3 pass Mdf Raised panel doors. Currently we do not use 3/4 thick material for flat panel Mdf we use a 5 piece door with a 1/4 thick Panel. Haven't tested your method yet but have thought about trying it. It seems that there would be more sanding time involved by cutting pockets verses using a 5 piece method. The door sizes are entered in excel and the panels are exported to the machine using basically the same proses as the import batch from excel. Except right now we are using the option to load a excel worksheet directly to the control. I am in the proses of redesigning our Excel door spread sheet to use the import batch from excel feature as this would allow us to enter the 3 pass doors in excel also. The prototype works good so far but I need to get it set up so that it will work on mutable computers. i.e.. The library's need to be the exact same on each computer and the File paths need to be set for individual systems in order for the VBA Coad to execute correctly. I am fairly new to VBA and am doing this pretty much on my own time.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Scott, if your going to pocket out an mdf Shaker door you have to use the very best door grade mdf. We also use all diamond tooling for best results. I cut the pocket .27" deep to minimize cupping. I also try to use white back material when possible to limit the movement of the panel.

The excel import function is a huge time and headache saver once you know how to use it. What use to take me an hour or so can be done in 5 minutes now.

Forrest