Help with Backup settings

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Help with Backup settings

Post by Al dedenus »

I'm having problems doing backup of my files
Can someone please give me an example of what to type in the four relevant boxes in the backup/restore settings.
I must have deleted parts of the file path as I can't backup my jobs, cabinets and assemblies.(wish I"d never played around with it!!)
Getting a pop up box that says backup has been completed with another one behind it that says please wait until backup completed
When I press ok another popup appears that says Synatex Error(missing operator)in expression
Was going to uninstall the programme and reinstall but don't want to loose all my files!
Any help would be greatly appreciated :wall:
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Help with Backup settings

Post by Scott Marshburn »

I would try to run a repair rather than reinstall you should not loose any files. But as always you might want to contact support just to make sure.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Al,

I'm not sure what you have going on with backup. But to describe the process and the entries on the Backup and Restore Settings:

1. The first entry is Backup Directory. Where do you want the file to be backed up at, i.e., the drive and folder? This might be a USB pin drive, a external hard drive, a network, or some location on the computer you are using. Also, this is typically the only entry that you might need to change.

2. The other three boxes identify where some of your files are located. When you save a Job, Tool and Drawer Box, the program allows you to save those files anywhere on your computer. Normally, these are saved at the default settings, i.e., Jobs in My Jobs, tools in My Profile Tools, and drawer boxes in Drawer Boxes. As stated, these are normally the default settings, which is set up in Settings and Preferences > User Data Path. I don't believe that you should need to change the default locations and if you had, then this may be the root cause of the error messages you are getting.
3. The check boxes allow you to include or exclude specific items from the backup, to remove all files or to replace (overwrite) existing files.

When you go to File > Backup My Files, then the files will be sent to your backup directory on the device you denoted in the first entry. The Backup and Restore application just copies files from one location to another. These files are not compressed, so you can review them in your backup directory after the backup is completed.

When you Restore your files, you need to make sure that the Backup Directory is identified correctly in the Backup/Restore Settings. If the Backup files are on the same computer, then there should be no change, but if you are restoring from any external device, then the drive designation may be different than the source computers. Then you would go to File > Restore My Files.

With regards to reinstalling eCabinet Systems, I would not normally remove and reinstall any program. That said, when you remove eCabinet's, it does not remove any user data files. You have to specifically search those files out and delete their directories.

Any of the files that you are wanting to back up are located in public folders.

Windows XP:
For Cabinets, Assemblies, Doors, Drawers, and Drawer Boxes and Hardware Objects: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet SystemsFor eCabinets application files: C:\Program Files\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems
Vista and WIN7/Win8 (eCabinet Systems Version 6 and above)
For Cabinets, Assemblies, Doors, Drawers, and Drawer Boxes and Hardware Objects: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet SystemsFor eCabinets application files: C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems

Hope this helps. Try the Repair option to fix the possible issues with eCabinets, but review the four boxes or so that you've changed the entries on.

Dennis
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

Thanks for the detailed reply, all good now.
Really appreciate the help
As a matter of interest how do you run a system repair?
I remember back in the old days you had to programme disk and click repair
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Use the downloaded (latest) version of the software and start it as if you are installing it, but choose "Repair". It's the same, you just don't have the disk.

Dennis