Need Help With a Corner Cabinet

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jon Navas
Company Name: Optima Production Group

Need Help With a Corner Cabinet

Post by Jon Navas »

Hey Everyone,

I've been using ECabinets for just under a month now and have slowly been figuring the program out. I was using Google Sketchup before this and have been trying to recreate all of my original designs in ECabs. However, one thing I use A LOT is a like a 3 sided corner cabinet (left/ride side & angled front) and I have not been able to figure this out. I get turned around when trying adjust the dimensions for the corner cabinets. Ideally I'd like to have something that can be somewhat easily adjusted. I've attached a picture of what it is I'm trying to accomplish. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated (until I can figure this out I'm a bit of a standstill). Thank you all in advance.
Attachments
HELP PLEASE!.jpg
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Need Help With a Corner Cabinet

Post by Scott Marshburn »

High Jon
The way that I make this type of upper cabinet is to use a standard upper cabinet with just the face frame, top and deck along with a Upper corner with the back only. Saved as an assembly
I could post the steps but these videos are much quicker
http://www.screencast.com/t/UyOrbfZX
http://www.screencast.com/t/ylg0ancM4
Jon Navas

Post by Jon Navas »

Hey Scott,

So I watched those videos and am about to attempt this (pretty complex process). Once you save the assembly are you able to adjust overall dimensions of the cabinet or will it always be 2 separate pieces? Also, I forgot to specify that I wanted base cabinets in this style. Should I be able to do the same process using base cabinets instead of the uppers to allow for adjustable toe kick? Thank you so much for the information, it may take me a little while to put it together but now I know how to at least.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

No you can not adjust them as a single cabinet. You will have to resize them individually.
Do note that the cabinet that I demoed will work for a left return or a right return upper that is 12 inches deep. The drawback to this is that you will have to rotate it as needed when placing it in custom layout.
As far as a base unit the toe kick will be adjustable just the same as any other base cabinet. But the face frame will need to be adjusted to accommodate the changes.
You can use stretchers for the backs. But they will need to be rotated and constrained using the advanced feature in the stretcher editor. Although I have not had much luck with this on stretchers that have ben rotated.
Also if you use stretchers and try to add an adjustable shelf the program will not recognize them as backs and will not size the shelf accordingly or will it put the shelf pin holes in them.
Another alternative to make it easer to place the cabinet in custom layout is to use a cabinet with a left end top back and deck (Right end removed).The process is similar to the videos.
Jon Navas

Post by Jon Navas »

It surprises me that this software doesn't have any kind of seed cabinet like this. I feel like this style is utilized enough where users should have a pre-set cabinet like it. Maybe it's just me though. I'm not having the greatest luck with this process so far though. I'm new to designing in general, not just with ECabs. Sketchup was so much different, so all of this is still very new for me. I'll keep at it and hopefully come out on top (hopefully sooner than later). One other thing when working with the miters, is there a pre-loaded tool for that or do you have to create the profile? It seemed like you had your own tools set up.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

I do not think that there is a 45 miter tool but you could look through the pre loaded tools. The 45 miter tool that I use I created in shape manager and saved it as a .tol file
Also you might look at subscribing to the online videos that eCabinets offers. I think it is something like $25 per month. You can cancel the subscription any time.
If you click on the communications tab and select eCabinets Training It will take you to the web page for training click on online training.
Jon Navas

Post by Jon Navas »

Yeah, I actually bought the manual and have just been looking up certain information as I go. But the videos might be more helpful. It's always easier to actually see these things done.
Jon Navas

Post by Jon Navas »

One more question for you Scott. I'm trying to print up all the information for a design I just finished. How you do you display it with all the dimensions and spacing for shelves/partitions. And is there an easy way to just print EVERYTHING (design, dimensions, cut lists, nest diagrams, etc...), or do you have to print everything individually?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

There is no a way to print what you are wanting I on shot.You will have to put the specs that you are describing in the line drawing editor.I am shure that there are as many ways to do this as there are eCabinet members
The cutlist can be accomplished by clicking on the cutlist tab. There you will have the option to export to excel you will have to experiment with this option to see witch works best for you.
below are some examples of cabinets that were done in line drawing editor.
See This link about eCabinets and excel.
http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =3&t=13569
Attachments
Face Frame Specs.jpg
Carcass specs.jpg
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Jon Navas wrote:It surprises me that this software doesn't have any kind of seed cabinet like this. I feel like this style is utilized enough where users should have a pre-set cabinet like it. Maybe it's just me though. I'm not having the greatest luck with this process so far though. I'm new to designing in general, not just with ECabs. Sketchup was so much different, so all of this is still very new for me. I'll keep at it and hopefully come out on top (hopefully sooner than later). One other thing when working with the miters, is there a pre-loaded tool for that or do you have to create the profile? It seemed like you had your own tools set up.
where are you stuck at?
Jon Navas

Post by Jon Navas »

I've kind of been playing with the 3 sided cabinets and am getting better at throwing them together quickly, now I'm just working with the shape manager trying to make the mitered edge.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Hi Jon
Here it the tool that I use. It was drawn with the depth preset at 3/4 deep so if you use it for shallower cut the depth setting should be adjusted based on the depth it is at now.
Attachments
45DegBevel.tol
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Jon Navas

Post by Jon Navas »

Thanks for the tool Scott. I finally started getting used to shape manager and created a miter tool (I'm still just going to use yours). But then it took me like an hour figuring out how to apply the profile in the right direction lol. Finally started grasping it though. I've got the rest of my design finished except for those corner cabinets. So from here I'll take the information and tools you've given me and get this thing going. Thanks again for everything. Now I know who to come to with future questions!
:beer:
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Thanks for the feedback. If I can help any more please post or pm me.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Scott Marshburn wrote:I do not think that there is a 45 miter tool but you could look through the pre loaded tools. The 45 miter tool that I use I created in shape manager and saved it as a .tol file
Also you might look at subscribing to the online videos that eCabinets offers. I think it is something like $25 per month. You can cancel the subscription any time.
If you click on the communications tab and select eCabinets Training It will take you to the web page for training click on online training.
Hey Scott, I think the chamfer tool will work to make the cut too.