85% of my time waiting between mouse clicks

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

85% of my time waiting between mouse clicks

Post by Donald Thomson »

It seems that this new release is really slow. I actually had my wife time me during a 1 hour session of using eCabs. It turns out that I spend about 85% of my time waiting for things to happen after I click on an action. Whether it is adding a drawer or door, changing the position of a stretcher, moving between editors, going from an editor back to the room editor, etc, etc.

So in a 1 hour period of time I spend about 51 minutes waiting for things to happen and about 9 minutes actually clicking to cause an action to happen. This seems like a inordanent amount of time waiting for a piece of software to respond. Plus it is a lot of thumb twirling which isn't saving any time in designing cabinets.

I am running a pretty high end computer Dell XPS, quad core processor with 16GB ram and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, that all my other software runs lightning fast on including another cabinet design package I am testing.

Is there any way to speed eCabs up? Maybe to a 50/50 mix of actually doing something and waiting for the software to actually do it? That would be a large time savings right there.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Terry Hall

Re: 85% of my time waiting between mouse clicks

Post by Terry Hall »

Don, I believe my computer specs are pretty similar to yours. Mine is lightening fast with this latest build. My laptop hasn't suffered any ill effects either. My desktop is probably 4-5 years old. Lately I've been experiencing several shutdowns with the blue screen of death( on my desktop). After doing some research I downloaded slim cleaner with driver update, aware of the fact that I haven't kept up with driver updates for some time, simply because I'm too busy. The software initiated multiple driver updates also many registry fixes. The software seems to have solved the bsd problem and my computer is as fast as it was when it was new. Ecabinets is lightening fast. Don't know if this could be part of your problem, but it was certainly part of mine, problem seems to be solved , at least for the time being. :D
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Incidentally, could be a tabs problem too.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Don, what video card to you have?
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

ATI Radeon HD 4800 series with an analog LCD display on one output and a digital LCD display on the main output.

eCabs runs on the display on the digital output - not that that should make any difference in software performance.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Rick, just to give you an idea of latency, when I finish in the cabinet editor and am ready to return to the room editor, where I came from to edit a cabinet, it takes upwards of 30 seconds before I can actually starting doing anything in the room editor again.

Using the attached cabinet - I went in to delete and put new doors and drawers in to work around the material cutlist issue with some doors and slab drawers. When I clicked on Main to exit door/drawer editor to go back to cabinet editor it took 44 seconds. Between changing the doors and getting back to my room to go into another cabinet and fix that, there was 72 seconds of simply watching the hour glass go round and round. That does not count the time it takes to add each drawer and door. I would estimate when you add the twirling the thumbs time, I have more then 100 seconds just waiting while taking about 10 seconds to click the mouse to cause an action. This seems very excessive to me.
Attachments
Island cabinet.hsf
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 303 times
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Don,
Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your card?
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Don,

Is this PC a laptop or desktop?
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team

Post by Rick Deskins »

Donald Thomson wrote:Rick, just to give you an idea of latency, when I finish in the cabinet editor and am ready to return to the room editor, where I came from to edit a cabinet, it takes upwards of 30 seconds before I can actually starting doing anything in the room editor again.

Using the attached cabinet - I went in to delete and put new doors and drawers in to work around the material cutlist issue with some doors and slab drawers. When I clicked on Main to exit door/drawer editor to go back to cabinet editor it took 44 seconds. Between changing the doors and getting back to my room to go into another cabinet and fix that, there was 72 seconds of simply watching the hour glass go round and round. That does not count the time it takes to add each drawer and door. I would estimate when you add the twirling the thumbs time, I have more then 100 seconds just waiting while taking about 10 seconds to click the mouse to cause an action. This seems very excessive to me.

If all your cabinets are in the room, have you ever tried the adjust features tab in the item window to change doors and drawer fronts? It would save all the back and forth to the cabinet editor.
Rick Deskins
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Rick - I have not tried that before. :D

I do learn new things about this software all the time. Unfortunately, I have not had time to sit down and read the new manual from front to back to find out all the capabilities. I discover as I go along.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

I selected a cabinet that has 8 drawers with dbx's in it and then went into Adj. Features and selected Drawer Boxes and it told me there were no drawer boxes in the cabinet. I'm confused. How does this feature work?
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team

Post by Rick Deskins »

Well, there are two types of drawer boxes. Change Drawer Boxes changes drawer boxes added in the drawer box editor. Change Drawer Boxes with Fronts changes drawers boxes that are added in the door/drawer editor by checking the add drawer box option.
Rick Deskins