How do I add an image to a display cube?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

George L Vought

How do I add an image to a display cube?

Post by George L Vought »

I created a jar in the part editor, saved it as an assembly. When I loaded it into the lay out I don't like it and want to change the image. Is there any way to do that? I took a picture of the jar I want, took it into paint, cropped it & resized it, how do I get to use it? I added it as an image and put it the user defined folder.
Do I have to make a new cube and add the new image? Will it display as an display object? if not how do I make one of those?
The only DUMB question is the one you don't ask!
George L Vought

Re: How do I add an image to a display cube?

Finally got it, but I guess I was trying to ask if it was possible to make that into an hsf?
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

George L Vought wrote:Finally got it, but I guess I was trying to ask if it was possible to make that into an hsf?
You can create an display object hsf out of it by selecting it and then choosing File -> Export Selection.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Scott,

The only problem with that is when you create the .hsf display object it will most likely distort the image he used for the display cube.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

A photo may be worth a thousand words. In this case, you might want to attach the assembly file and the photo that you are talking about.

Not sure of the end goal here. As Scott said you can Export it from the File menu. That will create an HSF file, as is and as it currently looks or displays. You can load that exported file into the Display Part Editor. As Brad says, depending on the image, it may distort. You can rotate and scale the image on the part. You can also change the entire texture on the "vase", in this case, though a photo, like that of a person would probably not work well. It would distort. Typically, the textures would change to something like a solid color or a mirrored finish or something along those lines. Wood grain, sometimes works, but again there could be distortion.

Bottom line. Export to create an HSF file. Open in Display Part Editor to change the texture and then save it again as an HSF file.

These hsf files could also be used in the Define Hardware area as the Display Part.

Dennis
George L Vought

I manage to export it as an hsf file, but you were right it distorted when I tried to use the image. Do I need a program for creating 3D objects? At one time there used to be a bunch on files available in the 3D file share, but I don't see much there anymore. Did that change some where along the line, or is my memory getting the better of me :lol: ?