Save cutlist as a Excel Workbook not Excel 97-2003

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Save cutlist as a Excel Workbook not Excel 97-2003

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Is there away to save the excel file export that is generated by eCabinets as another file type. When we click on the save button the only choice that is offered is Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet.
The reason I am asking is that I have a workbook that access the cutlist.xls file that eCabinets creates. The problem is that although in for example windows vista (excel 2010) the code works just fine. I am trying to adapt the same code in Windows 8 (excel 2013) and it will not recognize the cutlist.xls name unless I save the file as per eCabinets will allow. Then reopen it and save it again as a Excel Workbook. I am not sure but I think that it might have something to do with the fact that the file that eCabinets generates is in Compatibility Mode.
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Re: Save cutlist as a Excel Workbook not Excel 97-2003

Post by David Egnoski »

Per Microsoft TechNet, Excel 2013 should open Excel 97 - 2003 files. Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Hi Dave.
The problem is not opening the file per say. The problem that I am having is accessing the cutlist.xls file with vba code. In excel 2010 I have no problems. But in 2013 for some reason it will not recognize the workbook name "cutlist.xls" at all. If you have 2013 copy tis code into a blank modual and run eCabinets cutlist then export it into excel then go to the workbook that you put the code in. in the vba editor click on view and select Immediate window. Then click F8 to step trough the code. The file name and the files full name for all of the workbooks that you have open should appear in the Immediate window. In 2010 it shows as cutlist.xls. but in 2013 it shows nothing for that workbook
Sub OpenWorkbooks()
Dim wb As Workbook
For Each wb In Application.Workbooks
Debug.Print wb.Name, wb.FullName
Next
End Sub
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

I don't have 2013 so I'm not able to test in that environment. I'm guessing Microsoft may have changed how the Workbooks property works.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

David I ran this same code on the work computer that has 2013 and it worked fine. I don’t know what the problem could be with my home computer but I will try to run a repair on it when I get home.