Cut centre doors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Cut centre doors

Post by Neville Bastian »

I was reading the Thermwood blog on the new cut centre. I was wondering if any of those features were going to be ported into Ecabinets? The one that interests me is the mdf door option stated as being "MDF doors are high-end designs that replicate quality five piece doors. They are made using a reverse 3D printing technique where, instead of adding a little material on each pass, a little is removed. This means that every door in the system can be made with the same standard tools that come with the machine, and there are already over 450 different door and drawer front designs. This same technique is also used to make moldings. Hundreds of profiles are available and each can be adjusted in both width and depth and then used to make either straight or arched moldings."
If its not going to be in Ecabinets is going to be retrospective to previous Thermwood models.
I may be missing something here with the cut centre focus ? Just interested.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Cut centre doors

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Neville,
You can use the profile modeler with ecabinets now - I believe the cut center is nothing more than constrained geometry with "stock" profiles available, but you can create any profile you wish and machine it with the modeling technology already.
Hope this helps,
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Josh,
We did try out modelling to do a square raised panel look door 300mm by 300mm in mdf a few years back which I think took over a hour. To do a full kitchen set that might take us 3 days so we gave it a miss. Surely Cut centre would not take that long as who could afford to use it?
Maybe after Atlanta all will be revealed?
Regards Neville
Neville Australia
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Hi Neville,
I highly doubt the Cut Center comes with any different technology. While profile modeler has an enormous amount of capability, it's not always the fastest tool for the job.
If you post a sample profile of what you're after, I'll be happy to take a look at it and suggest a machining strategy that could work if you find that to be of any use.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks Josh with your offer.
We use another door program that fits in with the Thermwood creating direct G code. It would be good if it came from Ecabinets though so the label and optimising is done by the control.
The door designs we use are like this. http://modernformdoors.com.au/door.htm design is the Cat 3 Yuna, tampa, Cat 2 Beverley, Amery, Cat 1 Australind,Wyndham

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Neville,
The Yuna and Tampa doors are technically possible to make with ecabinets but I think you would be much better off with a different program that is set up to handle it well. You could design toolpaths to be modelled, and constrain the heck out of them, but the beads on the panel would take quite a bit more work.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks Josh for the input. I had hoped this cut centre would have been a shift in position with door profiling which does require direct control of the tool path rather than modelling for fast product production. With our current software it can take a hour to cut 8 recessed pattern doors 720 by 450mm which is still a long time. As time goes on, information may come to the fore from Atlanta attendees?
Regards
Neville
Neville Australia