dowels

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mike Murray
Company Name: VCSS

dowels

Post by Mike Murray »

I want to experiment with dowels in e-cabs a bit. I have the router and a construction boring machine. I want to drill the side and partitions on the router and the stretchers etc on the construction boring machine. Basically I would have to be able to space the dowels a set distance form the back and then drill in increments of 32mm all the way to the back. Not every hole obviously, but some type of pattern within 32mm increments. I thought I would ask if any one has any good experiences with this before I go spending hours on it to find out it either is not feasible or that I should have went another direction.

Thanks for any help
Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Re: dowels

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi,

We use both doweled & dowel & confirmat. Ecabinets does not support 32mm dowel drilling but you can make it work. It would be great if there was an option to add 32mm hole pattern to sides & patricians then go in and delete the holes you don't need. I think this has been on the to do list for ever but I don't know if it will ever get done.

Dennis did a video on copying shelf hole patterns and applying them to sides. This will work for dowel drilling but you need to make a pattern for any cabinets with a different depth.

HTH

Gerry
Mike Murray

Post by Mike Murray »

HI Gerry,
Yes, I been with e-cabs from almost the start. I was hoping for something more than the old work around, haven't looked into it for a while, so was hoping I missed something..
The blind dado is a good joint, but sometimes dowels would just be quicker and easier.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Mike,

We should be able to get you what you want. I PM'd you about this.

Kerry
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Kerry,

I would be interested in any solutions you might have for this problem. Would you be willing to share your solution on the forum?

Thanks,
Gerry
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

This is just a shot in the dark guys as I have absolutely no experience with the 32 mm system. Could you not create a kd hole pattern with just the holes in the ends for the dowels and not the holes for the deck for example. Then set the max distance between to be in 32mm increments for example 128mm?
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Scott,

It has been a while since I tried but I did try to use the KD option to do this. I think it allows for a given number of fasteners and max spacing. We have a pattern set up for the common depths we use and just use the boring machine to do the vertical boring on the rest of them.

It is a shame to have the router cut the parts then have to bore the after but on small runs of custom depths it seems more efficient than working out a pattern.

Thanks,
Gerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Scott,

The problem with what you suggest using 128mm as a maximum distance is that this will drill the holes 32mm from each end but then eCabinets divides the remaining area into equal parts not to exceed 128mm. your other holes can then end up at 93.5mm or whatever which won't work with a line drill.

I wanted to see one of Mike's cabinets because all of his panels will have to be balanced or the drilling won/t work any way.
Mike Murray

Post by Mike Murray »

Hi Kerry,
Sorry to not get back to you,just nuts around here,serious deadlines looming,got hit by lightning and now a letter from the irs saying they are doing a full audit on me for 3 years...
Not much worry on that other than taxing my time that is already maxed out...
My panels wont be balanced Kerry,so your solution wont work and I think that is what I ran into when I looked into it before, so as is with e-cabs my solution is to do butt joints and drill all parts on the construction boring machine.
Not something I am interested in doing.
Thanks for the help..
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Thanks guys for enlighten me on this 32mm thing as I said I have no experience with this system but now I know what to expect if I do need to use it. Maybe some of you 32mm guys could sport a pizza party for the THM crew then they might would push this thing harder to the boss. It sounds like to me that this system is in use in many shops that run there machines so maybe they should at least take a serious look at this system and work with you guys to come up with a solution for the next build.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Mike,

This doesn't mean it won't work, I just need a little more information about your cabinets and construction methods. Drill spacing etc.