How Would You Draw This

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Terry Hall

How Would You Draw This

Post by Terry Hall »

I can usually figure out how to draw some unusual pieces using Ecabs parts editor, however I can't seem to get this one. This is the side of a cabinet that will go under a stairway and I'd really like to figure out how to CNC it, cut the dadoes, etc. I do have Draftsite, but haven't actually used it, so I don't have a lot of experience with DXF's like I know some of you folks do. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
Shipler Side Pc.jpg
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Re: How Would You Draw This

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Terry..

Is the 65" side the FRONT?
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Yes it is Brad, thank you.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Terry,

I've attached a cabinet with both sides drawn per your example.

Everything is done in the Part Editor. There is a series of videos in our Online Training Program with regards to the Part Editor and Constraint Manager that would be very beneficial.

In the Part Editor>Contour Mode, I Created Edges. Then used the Offset command to offset several lines to create construction lines. Trimmed the construction lines so that I had end points located at the beginning and end of the angled line. Then connected a line between the end points of the angle. I erased the extra lines and created a closed contour by adding lines. From there, I cut that corner out. You can duplicate the effort on the second side or you can Create Edges from the first side and create the part.

Dennis
Attachments
Terry Hall.jpg
Terry Hall.jpg (9.59 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
Terry Hall.hsf
(270.02 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Thanks Dennis, I'm going to work on it. I may look at the video sometime, but I've got three kitchens and this cabinet to do first. Thanks
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Dennis, your sides are perfect and if I could turn the cabinet around, making the back the front and vice versa, add a face frame, drawers and doors it would work perfectly for me. Is there an easy way to reverse the cabinet? Thanks
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Terry,

When I drew the pattern for the first cabinet, I saved the geometry in the Part Editor. Then I could use that to mirror the other side. I'm attaching a cabinet with everything reversed. Again, I used the pattern that I created the other day.

Dennis
Attachments
Terry Hall-Reversed.jpg
Terry Hall-Reversed.jpg (9.49 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Terry Hall-Reversed.hsf
(238.02 KiB) Downloaded 274 times