New user wondering if ecab can perform a certain function

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Stephan Pawloski
Company Name: Stephan Pawloski Woodworking

New user wondering if ecab can perform a certain function

Post by Stephan Pawloski »

Hi guys,
I'm changing software from a basic program to something more robust. I'm looking at eaither one of the two other common cabinet programs or eCabinets. I have been reading all I can find about the ecab software but was hoping that someone could answer two questions for me. I want to go with eCabinets, but only if it will work for our non-cnc shop.

1: We cut our sheet goods on a saw and assemble using assembly sheets that give a set of dimensions between partitions or interior components, etc. Can eCabinets give a drawn assembly output like this that includes more than the basic exterior sizes. This might be in the form of a cabinet cross-section with all interior measurements given, or simply a face view with dimensions from component to component.

2. Can eCabinets give measurements correlating to the centerline of placement for euro hinge cups on the doors and the hinge clips on the cases while taking into account door and drawer front reveals?
Ie, it would read something like:
Hinge 1 door: 3.5" down from top of door
Hinge 1 case: 3.675" down from top of case

Thank you for sharing your knowledge about this program. I want to affirm its capabilities before jumping in and buying the manual.
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: New user wondering if ecab can perform a certain functio

Post by tim lucas »

Stephan Pawloski wrote:Hi guys,
I'm changing software from a basic program to something more robust. I'm looking at eaither one of the two other common cabinet programs or eCabinets. I have been reading all I can find about the ecab software but was hoping that someone could answer two questions for me. I want to go with eCabinets, but only if it will work for our non-cnc shop.

1: We cut our sheet goods on a saw and assemble using assembly sheets that give a set of dimensions between partitions or interior components, etc. Can eCabinets give a drawn assembly output like this that includes more than the basic exterior sizes. This might be in the form of a cabinet cross-section with all interior measurements given, or simply a face view with dimensions from component to component.

2. Can eCabinets give measurements correlating to the centerline of placement for euro hinge cups on the doors and the hinge clips on the cases while taking into account door and drawer front reveals?
Ie, it would read something like:
Hinge 1 door: 3.5" down from top of door
Hinge 1 case: 3.675" down from top of case

Thank you for sharing your knowledge about this program. I want to affirm its capabilities before jumping in and buying the manual.
Hello Stephan,

I used ecabs for 6 years and until now had no cnc, for question #1 - yes - I always printed a view of partitions
cab dim.jpg
for question #2 - I always used standard measurements for hinges, so im not sure.

I can tell you that when I build a job with 20 some cabinets in the kitchen, the software will keep you straight. You can nest your sheets, print the nest by sheet with measurements of the parts - you can "and I recommend" print part labels that tell you the cabinet number and job info "I always put the labels on the edge of the parts" then you can grab all parts for cabinet #? and your ready to assemble. I am just touching the surface of ecabinets, I use the drawer slide info and hinge info and added items (trash pullout or lazy susan) and you can print the order list - I use it to figure board feet & sheet goods order amounts- I use the proposal format for proposals to my customers and more.

And - I don't cringe every month for the software fee!!!

Not to mention - Thermwood IS top of the line CNC manufacture!

Hope this helps
Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Stephan Pawloski

Hi Tim,
thank you, that does help. The hinge deal is not really a deal breaker, its more of a "would be nice". I could work with that drawing but I would prefer to have something at least like the face frame jpeg.
face frame drawing.jpg
I'll also attach one of my hand drawings that I am using now. I'm hoping I can get something that will produce dimensioned drawings to the detail of my hand drawings (minus the tolerances, etc. that would be built into the component cutting dimensions).
SPW hand drawing of chan job.jpg
This is the cabinet from that drawing:
SPWoodworking.com
SPWoodworking.com
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Although eCabinets will not automatically produce this type of report you can produce the type of drawings that you posted in the line drawing editor. It allows you to customize the details as per your needs.
Attachments
eCabLineDrawing FaceFrameDetails.jpg
eCabLineDrawing Cabinet Details.jpg
Stephan Pawloski

Scott, that's perfect, thanks for taking the time to draw that up. My final question is: usually I get a drawing from a designer that has the outside drawer front measurements and a couple other basic things, like finished height and width. None of this has factored in the 3/32" reveal between the 10" drawer fronts, or the fact that the bottom drawer divider has a smaller inside height, or that the finished Outside width of the entire case must also allow for the applied outer gables and top, not just the internal case that holds all the pieces, which I build with its own sides (basically I build it like a bank of drawers in a self supported case and then wrap that case with wider gables to get that European inset cabinetry look.

I guess it feels like I am often working backwards from the designers base dimensions, into a plan that will give me a cabinet with all the right reveals and still maintain as close as possible the designers 10" drawer height and 60" overall cabinet width. Can eCabinets handle this type of scenario? It sounds confusing, but I bet many of you are faced with the same scenario on a regular basis.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Stephan. eCabinets is perfect for the scenario that you described. If I were you I would subscribe to the online videos. They will help you get your head around how this program works. It is extremely affordable and you will keep most of your hair in the learning process.
Stephan Pawloski

Thanks Scott, just knowing that it will do what I need is a the key knowledge I needed. I didn't want to invest a lot of time into a program only to find out it couldn't work for my shop. Time to jump in.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Good deal Stephan. Glad to have you aboard. Keep us posted on how you like the program and remember the folks here on this forum are always willing to help. Not to leave out THM support. These guys have got me out of a jamb more than once.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Stephan Pawloski wrote:Thanks Scott, just knowing that it will do what I need is a the key knowledge I needed. I didn't want to invest a lot of time into a program only to find out it couldn't work for my shop. Time to jump in.
Hey Stephan -- I have been using ECabs for many years now without a CNC and started just the way that you are. It will do everything you want at no cost to you except time!! I'm sure you must have seen some of my renderings on the other forum. You can get answers on this forum fairly quick but if you have a particular problem that you want to discuss just email me -- you have the address. How's the line drill working out for you??
Stephan Pawloski

Wally, great to see you here! Thanks for the affirmations about ecabinets. The line bore is working very well, a great machine for a smaller shop like mine.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

As someone else noted -- take the online training for a month and when you follow the vids you will learn a lot quicker. It's worth the few dollars that it costs. It won't take long to learn enough to use it and then you keep learning every day from then on. LOL. Don't be afraid to ask questions here as there are a lot of good people here that will help you for sure. Do your searches first as there are a lot of questions that are already answered and available. Good luck and you have nothing to lose.