Ecabs hole sizing glitch and Control Nest drill tool setup

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

J Sidney Smith
Company Name: Lomans Fine Custom Cabinetry

Ecabs hole sizing glitch and Control Nest drill tool setup

Post by J Sidney Smith »

Is there a glitch in ecabs affecting the actual hole size created which then creates issues with getting the right tool selected for hole machining?

In the past our ecabs designer worked around issues with control nest's inability to select a tool to drill 5mm shelf pin holes despite having a 5mm drill in his tool setup. His work around was to design all shelf pin holes as 1969/10000".
Subsequent to that I had trouble with 5mm holes downloaded in hardware hole editor despite having a 5mm drill in the tool setup. This was addressed in control nest through tool tolerance setting.

Recently I started work with 5mm and 8mm holes in constraint manager and find that I cannot get constraint manager to edit and constrain holes drawn in part editor to 2.5mm radius; 2.49mm amd 2.51mm; but not 2.5mm. Using constraint manager edit function I type "2.5mm" and get "2.49mm".

Same thing with 5mm dia holes created via shelf/partition editor; in constraint manager they dimension radius at "2.49mm" and edit function input of "2.5mm" produces "2.49" as the constrained radius.

Same thing with 8mm dia holes created as 8mm diameter holes in hardware hole editor for blum hinge inserts. Dimensioning in constraint manager yields "3.99mm" radius and again cannot be changed to "4mm" radius; instead showing "3.99mm" in response to edit input of "4.0mm".

The cabinets when brought into line drawing editor indicate that the holes are 5mm and 8mm as intended. Since there is nothing to the right of a decimal, this could be the product of rounding and may not in fact indicate that they are the correct size.

The real issue here for me is trying to develop a consistent approach to my tool setups in control nest for drilling. If the 5mm and 8mm holes do in fact comes out of ecabs as 4.98mm and 7.98mm holes that may explain a lot.

Please provide some insight on the issue.
J Sidney Smith

Re: Ecabs hole sizing glitch and Control Nest drill tool set

Post by J Sidney Smith »

If, as I suspect, there is a rounding or unit conversion restriction causing the size of 5mm and 8mm holes designed in ecabinets using metric unit display to be slightly smaller than 5mm and 8mm, can someone recommend the minimum tool tolerance in Control Nest tool setup necessary to compensate for this discrepancy?
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

J Sidney Smith,

I will have our programmers investigate into the constraint manager fluctuation you are seeing. However, as far as a tool tolerance, we normally see/use .001" to .002" or .03mm to .04mm. If you are running into a situation that causes Control Nesting not to select a tool you feel it should, please get me an export from Control Nesting and the cabinet, assembly, or job that you created the twd from and I will investigate.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
J Sidney Smith

Post by J Sidney Smith »

Turns out the constraint manager's 2.49mm R instead of the input 2.5mmR wasn't causing our problems. There may be some rounding or conversion variation but within the confines of our tool tolerance setting. Upon review I found an input error on my part. Nonetheless, thanks for the reply Scott.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

J Sidney Smith wrote:Turns out the constraint manager's 2.49mm R instead of the input 2.5mmR wasn't causing our problems. There may be some rounding or conversion variation but within the confines of our tool tolerance setting. Upon review I found an input error on my part. Nonetheless, thanks for the reply Scott.
J Sidney,
No problem. Thanks for the reply. I have listed it and will still look into ironing out the metric display situation in the Constraint Manager.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000