Even width doors on cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Even width doors on cabinets

Post by Tim Massa »

Anyone figure out how to get this done for a cabinet having 3 doors. My usual workaround is to take it into cad and draw a quick horizontal cut to get partition spacing. I use that to locate the partition in ecabs and ignore what the software has spit out for door widths, relying on cad drawing for those dimensions. It occurred to me that I might have overlooked a simple way to get even width doors (a usual design goal) on a cabinet having more than two doors. No matter how much I fiddle with the reveals of each door it always winds up screwing up on the third door and jacking my door widths. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Even width doors on cabinets

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Tim,
Do you have Excel? If so I think I can help you.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I put together a calculator. I had a similar situation come up in training class last week. Row 2 is where you would enter the variables for your cabinet. I've tested with a few combinations of 3 to 6 doors with single and double doors. With double doors centered in the cabinet or on the left or right side. I am assuming that any door that is centered in the cabinet will have partitions on either side.

The results are calculated in the B column.

Of course, check your results, but I believe that I have this working for most combinations.

You'll need to change the file names extension to .xlsm or .xls may work. The file uploader would not accept the extension.

Dennis
Attachments
Door Calculator -Door Sizes and Opening Width Calculator.txt
(9.33 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Thanks Guys,
Looks like I'll have to get Excel.

Dennis,
I assume that is what your calculator works in?

Tim
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Yes, it is Excel. Some other software should be able to open it. I have a Mac at home and it would open in Numbers.

Dennis