Wall to short message

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jeff Christenson

Wall to short message

Post by Jeff Christenson »

I cannot make a wall in the custom layout room. When I click the mouse to start a wall I get a message with title " Wall too short" then the words,
"Wall lengths must be greater to or equal than the thickness of the wall. The wall will be set to the current wall thickness"
Click OK then I get a 4" x 4" wall. (I have the wall thickness set to 4") Used to just click and drag the wall to the approximate length, then enter the exact length in the wall length dialog box on the left of the screen. Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff Christenson
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Wall to short message

Post by Scott Marshburn »

The program will not allow you to create a wall that has a length that is less than the thickness that you have set. For example you have your walls set to be 4 inches thick and you try to start the wall at 3 inches then you will get the message that you posted. You can click on the new wall and resize it larger than 4 inches but not less. If you need a wall that is for example 3 ½ inches you can go into wall edit view and cut ½ inch off of it.
Jeff Christenson

Thank you very much for the response Scott. Yes, I have always been aware of that. But its more than that, much more. I'm not wanting to make a 3.5" wall, I used to be able to place the cursor anywhere on the grid, click and drag out the wall to any size. Now when I click and drag it makes a 4" wall at coordinates 0,0.
Now I have a 4" wall and I cannot edit it in any way, the only thing I can do is delete it. I cannot edit walls in existing designs either. If I open an existing design I can do anything with the cabinets. I can highlight a wall and take it to the wall view screen but if I try to change its size or add a wall to it, it turns gray, after that it wont even let me highlight it again. I am stumped!
Jeff Christenson
Jeff Christenson

What if I uninstall ecabinets then re-install? Will I need a whole new registration code?
Jeff Christenson
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Jeff before you uninstall try to run the repair option.
Jeff Christenson

Thanks Scott, I will see if I can find that repair tool.
Jeff Christenson
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

In your control panel under uninstall or change a program find eCabinets 6.0 Build 15
Click on it. Then at the top of your screen you should see some options. Organize, uninstall, change and repair. Click on repair.
Jeff Christenson

Scott, thanks again for your guidance. I ran the repair, then needed to get a new registration code, which I did, to get the program going. Unfortunatly it did not fix the problem. So now if I uninstall ecabinets can I use my new registration code again or should I get a new one?

Thank you!
Jeff Christenson
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Actually in this case I would contact Thermwood and see if they could help. I have ran the repair option before but it never required me to enter a new code just my original one that they sent me.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Jeff, I would try a different mouse, and/or check the mouse settings in Windows.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Jeff Christenson

I have not tried a different mouse yet but will do so, it works fine on everything else.

Okay, I read where Thermwood will only provide phone support to members who are signed up for the video tutorials or are running a Thermwood CNC machine. Currently I am not doing either one so I decided to uninstall ecabinets and re-install. This did not help one bit, same problem.

Interesting that when I ran the repair option I needed to enter a new registration code but when downloading the latest build I did not need to enter the code and did not need to restore ecabinets, all of my jobs where loaded and ready to go.

I can build cabinets in the cabinet editor and they can be placed into what I call my show room, a room with two walls that I use to render small jobs.

I notice that in the custom layout room that left clicking the mouse will turn the round dot on the 0,0 axis from red to blue no matter where you click.

I can create a wall by entering the start and end coordinates. Once the wall exist, it will not turn green if if I click on it but if you click anywhere on the screen then click the elevation button it will take you to the elevation view. Then once you take the wall back to the main screen it will be green but clicking on it will not un-select it although pressing the esc button will un-select it.

Also, I notice that the coordinates down in the bottom left corner of the screen do not change from 0,0 as you move your mouse around.

So with playing around for a while I find that I can build walls by entering the start and end coordinates. A wall can be edited or viewed in the elevation/wall view by clicking the elevation/wall view button then choosing which wall you want to take to it. When you return to the main screen the wall that you just had in the edit or elevation/wall view screen will be turned green and you have to use the escape button to de-select it.

Is this how ecab's works now? Can anyone just click and drag out a wall anywhere on the screen or is that feature not available anymore? Im trying my best not ot call Thermwood and bother them but I am considering on getting the video classes to brush up on ecabs.

Thank you,
Jeff
Jeff Christenson
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Hi Jeff -- Yes you should be able to click and make a wall and yes the dims. should move as you move your mouse. Here is a screen shot for you to see if all settings are the same as yours. Did you try a different mouse yet? That sure could be it. Click on it (The pic) to zoom.
EC.jpg
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Try to download new drivers for your mouse. There is nothing in eCabinet's that would cause this problem, so you should not have had to go through a repair or uninstall process. Especially, uninstall.

Dennis
Jeff Christenson

Wally, thank you sir for the screen shot! Something was set wrong I think it was the move increment settings, I had objects set to 3/16 for some reason. Now we are back to normal, if you lived here in my town I would buying you a beer!

And thank you for all of the other replies, I know it takes time out of your busy day to answer questions and solve problems like this, I really appreciate it!

I do help out other people when I can, its a good feeling.

Thanks again!
Jeff Christenson
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

It would be nice to know for sure what you changed. The Move Increment setting would not cause that. I've drawn some walls and played with several settings including the ones you've specified and did not have the same problem.

With regards to support. If you have a problem, we'll try to help. It is best to send an email to cabinets@thermwwood.com with any relevant files and a complete description. Often, we have to do a lot of research ourselves and/or send you files to correct the issue. Generally, I've found that it is more expedient to handle things that way rather than to try to figure it out over the phone.

I'll reiterate. Include a complete description and all the files. If it's about a cabinet, send the cabinet file. If it's about a job, send the job file. If it's about a cabinet in a job file, let us know which cabinet or cabinets. If it's about any of the modules of eCabinet's please specify.

Dennis