Free software to view/read G-Code of .twd output file?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

TonyGiunta
Company Name: ToSa Design

Free software to view/read G-Code of .twd output file?

Post by TonyGiunta »

Trying to learn more about g-code and how specific layer format for dxf files i.e. "outline z0p6875" etc. Would like to see the output code for parts I create in Part Editor and parts I create in other CAD software.

Thanks
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Free software to view/read G-Code of .twd output file?

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Tony,
A .twd file does not contain G-code. The .twd file is a group of encrypted layered .dxf files.
The G-code would also be specific to each machine that will be executing it, so I'm not sure how useful my code file would be if you didn't have a similar router / controller.
Probably not much help, but I hope this clarifies a little bit!
JNR
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks Josh,

This is for a Thermwood router maybe 10 years old from another shop. Without me standing in front of this machine is there a way for me to look at something that is simulated to the code which would come up under Control Nesting? Thanks, Tony
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Tony,

Your best bet is to find an NC code editor that will allow you to "backplot" or simulate the execution of the NC code that you have generated through Control Nesting or via a CAD/CAM system.

Now true machine simulation software can be expensive but in order to just visually verify NC code, we suggest that our customers invest in CIMCO Edit. At around $500 USD, it will allow you to "backplot" your NC code on your office workstation. There is a direct link between the cutting and rapid moves in the graphical screen with the NC code in the editor window.

(If you have a recent version of Mastercam, I believe your can update the simpler OEM version of CIMCO Edit that is part of the MC package to the "backplotting" version for about $250 USD.)

Not sure if you will find an equivalent for less.

Hope this helps.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks Brad,

I don't have MC but the shop does. To take a couple of layman steps back...

The gist of my exploration, outside of wanting to learn more about the machine side of things, is that I have recently established a relationship with a nearby (5 mi) shop which is under new ownership and which has a Thermwood 7x12 router perhaps 10-15 years old. The previous owner used the router in frequently and mainly with MasterCam. They really did not know eCab very well and probably did not know how to use Part Editor etc. FYI, This is a Architectural Milwork shop. The cnc is sort of Greek to the new owner, (but he is learning and wants to ease into using the cnc as a normal part of production) but he has someone come in to run it for him who is used to Thermwood routers supposedly.

Back track... I used to use Josh over at Halls Edge to produce my parts but they are a good 2.5 hour drive one way. So to be this close to a Thermwood is exciting and convenient.

This CNC outsource operator has odd hours and is not always available. But it is in my best interest to be able to have my parts processed promptly with a set schedule. I'm under the impression that running something on the router that was produced in eCab should be fairly straight forward at the machine. Given of course no crazy profiling parts etc, which my batch is not. Just straight normal stuff, hinge/slide/shelf holes, and two pocket cuts. Once you know how to set up Control Nesting for the batch, it should go relatively smoothly?

In the end I'd like to be able to process my own files on their machine if possible but need to gain knowledge to do so.

Josh, feel free to chime in as well.

Sorry for the long post.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Would this software be OK? Can this read a .twd file? Thanks

http://cnc-backplot-editor.en.softonic.com/
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Tony,
You can still email me your job files, and we can have the parts shipped to you at very reasonable rates.
As you know, cutting parts for professional cabinetmakers is all we do, so you won't be last in our schedule.
We have also been doing this for 10+ years, so think of it like getting a Ferrari along with the professional drivers.
Give me a call if there is anything we can do to help.

With all that said, I'm sure you still have an interest in learning - so my best recommendation would be to arrange some type of training on the router. When someone purchases a new router, they attend training at Thermwood for about a week, and that's just to get a good foundation.

Hope this helps!
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Josh,

Just sent you a file. Thanks, Tony