Mixing jobs in nesting

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Mixing jobs in nesting

Post by Neville Bastian »

I was wondering how other firms overcome the mixing of jobs. For example, same client but Kitchen, two bathrooms and a laundry cabinets. My staff are saying its a nightmare to sort the parts to rooms then per cabinet so they prefer to cut one room at a time. To me, more parts better recovery of material. The sorting of cabinet parts must be a problem for some firms as you have the coloured symbol and different shaped symbols. Could we dont extend this to rooms or clients. Maybe print a different watermark on each room label. As the US is very patriotic, you could have a watermark of your past presidents. Well maybe not Nixon but his face is unforgettable. You get the drift, a quick way at glancing at the label and without reading know where it needs to be allocated.
I am all ears if you have solved the problem another way.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Re: Mixing jobs in nesting

Post by Thom Davies »

Hi Neville

I batch each area, so 1 batch/file will be called KITCHEN and then another would be called BATHROOM 1 or Laundry etc. Since the name comes up on the label as well as the colour symbol it makes it easier to sort out.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thom
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks Thom,
I may not have your explaination clear but they do batch the cabinets for room "Kitchen" for example of Smith but I would like to batch Smiths Kitchen, two Vanity and Laundry cabinets together. The nightmare happens working out that you have four cabinets titled one for Smith but in small print kitchen or vanity bathroom vanity ensuite or Laundry. If there was something in your face difference to the label for each room that would be magic. We use a colour printer to take advantage of the coloured symbols so a simple colour print change on the job name would do the trick. If the software just rotated through a set 10 colours that would work. I was hoping to get a bite on the US presidents but no one took it on. Bummer.
Regards
Neville
Neville Australia
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Post by tim lucas »

Do you draw all your cabinets for all rooms in 1 file?

I have a job going now that I have 2 rooms (office & closet) I drew them in separate files but am cutting them together
one is Office and one is Closet
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Unless I am mistaken. What Neville is saying is for example you have a job that has 3 rooms. Smith Kitchen, Smith Laundry, Smith vanity. He would like to lode all 3 jobs and cut them together. If for example the program would print all of the labels for Smith Kitchen with a black font. Then all of the labels for Smith Laundry with a red font and all of the labels for Smith vanity with a blue font. There would be less chances of getting the parts mixed up when sorting.
So if there were 3 cabinets numbered 1 then you would have 3 left ends one labeled with black font, 1 labeled with red font and 1 labeled with blue font.
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Post by tim lucas »

Yes, I can see that would be real helpful
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks Guys for your input.
The aim of the game is a quick glance at the appearance of the label when the part it retrieved from the sorting bench after being pushed from Thermwood to know what pigeon hole the part goes in for edgebanding, then carted for assembly.
You could read each part but the font is too small to get enough characters and mistakes easily made. Many minutes are lost looking for that wrongly placed side that is in the wrong cabinet pigeon hole or on the wrong room or client cart.
Hopefully someone will feel this issue has merit in the Ecabinet programming bunker. :lol:
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia