Constraints not working

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Shaun Just
Company Name: Not Just Kitchens LTD

Constraints not working

Post by Shaun Just »

Hi there, i've just recently got the latest build for ecabinets, and now ive noticed that when i do a profile cut (on a door) and go to contraint mangage it, when i get out of the contraint manager after applying the changes and then go back into it, the contraints have disappeared from the profiling and when i go to change the size of the door, because theres no restraints on the profile cut, its all messed up. Help??
Shaun Just

Re: Constraints not working

Post by Shaun Just »

What i want, then exit out and apply changes...
What i want, then exit out and apply changes...
Then after going back into the contraint manager, they have disappeared. Never happened to me before!
Then after going back into the contraint manager, they have disappeared. Never happened to me before!
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Shaun,

Please attach the cabinet that reproduces your issue and I will be glad to take a look at it. If you cannot attach it here, then feel free to email it to { cabinets@thermwood.com } and put Attn: Scott in the subject line.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Shaun Just

Post by Shaun Just »

Drawers.hsf
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 346 times
Drawers.jpg
Drawers.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 6641 times
Hi Scott,
This is just one that's in my library which i have been using for years, havent changed anything to it. Now when i go into contraint manager, then exit out (and hit apply changes (even if i didnt do any)) then i go back into it, the profile constraints are gone :wall:

Regards,
Shaun
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Shaun,

I was able to reproduce your issue and it appears to be afflicting only back side profile cut paths on doors and drawer fronts. I have it listed and we will get it resolved as soon as we can and have it included in the next release. Sorry for this inconvenience.

As you have probably noticed, if you do not take the drawer fronts back to the constraint manager, they will retain their previously set constraints. You can actually go to the CM and work on other parts, but as long as you do not select any of the drawer fronts to display in the view, you will still be ok and it will maintain the prior constraints.

If you need a way around this issue until we get it resolved, I have found a way to achieve it. It involves having the profile cut path attached to the inner parts geometry. You may actually want change to this method for all future designs as it requires half the constraints. I will describe my step using the cabinet you attached:
1.) First, I created a tool that was 16mm wide so I can use its center-line to achieve the 8mm wide rabbit on the drawers (I will attach the one I made in case you would like to review or use it).
2.) Now, load the cabinet and take one of the drawer fronts to the part editor
3.) Change to the C-Back View
4.) Select Delete, Profile Cut, then click on the orange highlight to delete it.
5.) Select Profile Edge, Chain, then click on one of the edges of the existing interior cut through to select it as the path (In other words do not create extra geometry to select as the path).
6.) Select Next, then choose the 16mm tool that you create or select mine and then set it to a -9.5mm plunge depth, Select OK.
7.) Return to main and keep the changes.
8.) Now, repeat steps 2 through 7 with the other two drawer fronts.
9.) Next, go to the Constraint Manager and select drawer 1.
10.) Right click on the green cut path that is directly over the interior cut and select Cutpath Attachment-> Attach.
11.) Then do the same for drawer 2 and 3, then return to main and keep the changes.
12.) You should now be able to resize the cabinet and the profiles will stay with the cut outs.

Note: If in the future you create the cut out and the profile edge in the same part editor session, it will automatically have the profile attached to the parts geometry and you can skip the manual attach steps.

Along with the tool file, I will also attach the reworked version of the cabinet that I did for you to review. Hope this helps, and sorry again for the inconvenience.
Attachments
16mm wide.tol
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
Drawers_SGV1.hsf
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 366 times
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Shaun Just

Post by Shaun Just »

Thanks for taking the time to go through this Scott, have taken your advice and have gone with your steps (seems much simpler and less time consuming!) I can now carry on as per normal!

Regards,

Shaun
Not Just Kitchens LTD