Lock Dado Pilot Hole Removal

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tracey Marini
Company Name: Crane Woodworking

Lock Dado Pilot Hole Removal

Post by Tracey Marini »

Is there a way to remove the pilot hole when using lock dado joinery? I have a freestanding cabinet with exposed sides, an exposed top, and an exposed interior (which makes pocket screwing out of the question as well). I've tried going to the "Select KD/RTA" settings and I know how to change them but I can't figure out how to remove them.
Tracey Marini
Crane Woodworking
Norwalk, Connecticut
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Lock Dado Pilot Hole Removal

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Tracey,

If I understand correctly, you are wanting lock dado joinery but no cam or post drilling. If so, (and since KD/RTA does not allow you to clear or have no pattern set) you would want to create a new hole pattern for this that has zero thickness set for one or both of the cam and or post portion of the hole pattern. You must have at least one piece of geometry existing to save a hole pattern, but we allow it to be saved with zero thickness/depth. Now you would need to change your KD/RTA pattern to this new one. Also, if you are ok with a tenon going the whole distance of the part, you could just set the joinery to blind dado as an alternative as well. Hope this helps.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Tracey Marini
Company Name: Crane Woodworking

Re: Lock Dado Pilot Hole Removal

Post by Tracey Marini »

Scott,

That was very helpful.

Thank you!
Tracey Marini