drawer slide locations

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

drawer slide locations

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Is there a way to setup the drawer hardware patterns so that they are always located a set distance from the bottom of the drawer front, regardless of whether the drawer front overlays the deck or a fixed shelf or whatever? We use a jig to pre-drill our drawer fronts so the slide location on the gables always has to be that set standard distance from the bottom edge of the drawer front in order for them to be able to install the drawers correctly. Having the slides move up by how much of an overlay there is, or needing to make sure that every user remembers to add a negative inset when they are adding the drawers just won't work.
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: drawer slide locations

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Hi Mark,
WIthout a picture I struggle to understand your situation but I know that the new global item modification Has several options for changing hardware and patterns, perhaps one of those items may do what you are asking.

Ralph Balanik
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

It's not really a matter of being able to change patterns so much as being able to manipulate how they are positioned...

As far as I understand, drawer slide patterns are linked to the fronts, but are adjusted by anything that they overlap... for example; using 16mm thick case material, with 2 drawers and using the exact same pattern, the bottom drawer (full overlay of the deck) has a pattern that moves up 16mm more than the top drawer in relation to the drawer front. I guess that Ecabs assumes that the slide pattern is always bottomed out and must always compensate for any material overlay.

So with that... any drawer front that overlays a cabinet part needs to have an adjustment applied when adding the drawer to bring the pattern "back down" to where you need it in relation to the fronts.

We process a lot of cabinets every day and predrill the fronts and assemble the drawer boxes in a separate department, often well before the cabinets have even been assembled, out of necessity for speed. We have one location for the slides on the fronts... the patterns have to be located on the gables in the corresponding position... regardless of full-, half-, partial-, or no-overlay. What I need is a way that any of multiple ecab users (of varying abilities) in our office can add drawers to any layout of cabinet interior without the need to worry about the slide location modification every time, possibly missing one here or there, and bringing production to a frustrated halt. Especially since we use multiple drawer types and changing patterns for type and depth is time consuming enough without the need to worry about slide insets as well.

Bottom line: is there a way that I can set drawer slide patterns to a certain fixed dimension from the bottom edge of the drawer front regardless of any overlay or lack thereof?
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

And... sorry about the novel... :?
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Mark Hesketh wrote:As far as I understand, drawer slide patterns are linked to the fronts, but are adjusted by anything that they overlap...
Mark,
eCabinet Systems slide patterns have always been referenced from the bottom of the drawer box (or where it theoretically would be if no Dbx is applied) not the drawer fronts.
Mark Hesketh wrote:Bottom line: is there a way that I can set drawer slide patterns to a certain fixed dimension from the bottom edge of the drawer front regardless of any overlay or lack thereof?
Currently no, but I will investigate the possibility of getting a feature added that would allow this (or at least get it on the wish list).

I am curious if any other members have run into this as a need. Please chime in if you have.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I have 1 customer that for the sake of monkey proofing we place all the drawer boxes the same distance from the bottom of the front. In this particular case it is .75" taking into account that the bottom front will overhang the deck about .625" giving the drawer box about .125" underneath. If this is an important part of your process then you will have to train your designers or create the libraries to account for most scenarios. I have often thought it would be a nice feature being able to toggle to another reference point but its not high on my list.

Forrest
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

To eliminate some of the errors that I was experiencing placing drawer slides, I've combined all the slide holes for each of my typical drawer front combinations into one slide pattern. I add one drawer at the bottom of the cabinet, and this places all of the slide holes for each of the drawers above, without adding any further drawers. I don't use the software to cut my drawer fronts or drawer boxes.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

We are processing upwards of 200 cabinets on an average day. We can't afford the time to determine where the drawers are going as they are being assembled in order to have them ready for when the case is assembled.
I am currently building a library to be able to transition from using all stock parts to a just-in-time nested production... but also have to keep in mind that there may be as many as 4 or more engineering guys creating/modifying cabinets on a daily basis, so I need to keep the rule sets as basic as possible. The customization of cabinets is also increasing on a daily basis. Being able to set a fixed dimension from he bottom of the drawer front would be the easiest and require the least amount of worry to make sure they shop will be able to just slide the drawers in and wrap it for shipping.
This ability would be high on my wish list... I would imagine that anyone doing large-scale production with drawer systems such as metabox, tandembox, etc. would find it simpler as well.

Cheers
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Has anyone found a way to do this?
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3