NEED TO HAVE AN AUTO SAVE FEATURE TO MINIMIZE LOST WORK

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

NEED TO HAVE AN AUTO SAVE FEATURE TO MINIMIZE LOST WORK

Post by Donald Thomson »

I just spent an hour making modifications to cabinets in a batch. It had been about 15 minutes since I last saved the batch. I had taken a cabinet into the cabinet editor and had selected a dbx front to take to the constraint manager. The program put up that wonderful "eCabs has stopped working" dialog. I then lost 15 minutes of work and a WHOLE lot of cabinet edits. :wall: :wall: :wall:

WE REALLY REALLY need an auto save feature to guard against this fairly common occurrence of program crashes. At least that way the amount of lost work could be minimized. Have it configurable so a user can determine how much work they are willing to loose when the program crashes.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: NEED TO HAVE AN AUTO SAVE FEATURE TO MINIMIZE LOST WORK

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Yes this would be a nice feature. Maybe the auto save file could be put into a temp folder and be automatically over written each time. This way we could load the job as it was at the last save. Although I usually try to make it a habit of saving each time I make a major change on a cabinet and or job for this very reason. I have been bit by that a few times myself.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

I do the same thing Scott. The problem is I have some large jobs that take a long time to save and if I add up the "click and wait time" it would be pretty significant. Click and wait time is already pretty significant..
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Donald Thomson wrote:I do the same thing Scott. The problem is I have some large jobs that take a long time to save and if I add up the "click and wait time" it would be pretty significant. Click and wait time is already pretty significant..
I know what you mean. I do a lot of line drawings after the boss has got the job ready. It does take up quite a bit of time having to save after each cabinet is completed. But it has become such a habit that I never really considered the time loss of saving each time. I am just concerned about what will happen if I don’t.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Donald Thomson wrote:I do the same thing Scott. The problem is I have some large jobs that take a long time to save and if I add up the "click and wait time" it would be pretty significant. Click and wait time is already pretty significant..
I know what will happen. The program will crash and I will loose a lot of work. Has happened many times to me and it is VERY frustrating!! :wall: :wall:
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

My Cabnetware program does this autosave and has saved my bacon many times. The setup allows many options like save the last action to as many actions you want to pass then save. That autosave program doesnt seem to effect the performance but with Ecabinets being different it may do. If thats the case you might to just loose 5 minutes of work to keep it humming. If the programmers cant do this soon I wonder if dropbox would be an answer. It would send all changed files in the past 5 minutes to a directory that could be retrieved?

Regards Neville
Neville Australia