Blum Tandembox drawer front

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Blum Tandembox drawer front

Post by Neville Bastian »

With wide drawers the only attachment is the brackets holding the front to the drawer side. Really anything over 600mm 24" seems to need a fixing to the bottom of drawer. We use a small L shaped light gauge metal bracket which looks a bit handimanish. I was wondering how other Ecabinet users did this. I wish Ecabinets could predrill a pocket hole in the drawer bottom based on the maths so one or more holes are drilled based on the width of drawer bottom.

Regards
Neville
Neville Australia
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Blum Tandembox drawer front

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Neville. :)
I have never trusted the plastic bracket system to last for a long time.
So my solution is to put another front piece as in the picture.
Yes I know, another 12 edges to be edged for a 4 drawer bank, and they have to be cut over size to go through the edger, then re cut to the height to suit the front.
And more assembly time.
But its worth it so we don't have to go back for warranty.
After Installation when all the drawers are tickled up, the last thing is to lock them off with the two screws.
The trick is to make it high enough or low enough so that the handle screws miss the top of it. (more pain :) ) Higher and the handle screws add more strength to it.
I did have a template for the guys to sand the curve to on the sander but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.
I'm not so keen on the gap it leaves when the cutlery insert is put in, but touch wood I've never had a customer complain
I haven't used Blum for a while so I am not sure of the profile, and the Hettich ones have a curved profile on them, but either way I imagine you should be able to apply a pattern to both ends to the front of a drawer box in the part editor and constrain it.
I have seen others use the mini angle bracket solution under the base of the drawer as well, but yeah, Its not holding on up in the middle of the drawer where its need more.

That's my 2 cents worth, I'm sure there are other solutions out there.
Attachments
Inotec drawer with display runner.hsf
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
Inotech drawer setup1.jpg
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: Blum Tandembox drawer front

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the feedback.
We were using the Hettich but got tired of the moving out of sideway alignments so tried Harn which as you know are the Blum copy but after a few issues with the fixing brackets on that we have now gone to Blum.
Mainly for the go back maintence issues which blow away any savings you make on cheaper hardware.
Not sure if I will go your melamine block arrangement as that seems like a lot of effort. Hopefully Ecabinets might do something but if they dont It could be buy a pocket drilling jig. Not totally sold on that as I can see an apprentice using a wrong size screw through the face.
Hope all is well in Sydney and you are making a buck or two.
Regards Neville
Neville Australia