Is it possible to add dados to a stretcher?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jesse Ogburn
Company Name: Ogburns Cabinet Shop Inc

Is it possible to add dados to a stretcher?

Post by Jesse Ogburn »

Hi everyone, I have had this problem for awhile and thought maybe someone smarter than me might be able to provide the answer. I already looked at a number of other posts that had a similar problem, but couldn't find one that dealt with this specifically.
I am designing a ceiling height double oven cabinet. The electrician wants me to let the back out of the area where the oven goes so that he has extra room to work. I tried simply cutting that section of the cabinet out, but that would make the back into two individual pieces and eCabinets has a little belly ache about that. I can cut out the back and let a thin strip down the one side, but that is a little messy looking and I was hoping for a cleaner method. I just recently thought about stretchers since I could position them exactly where I need them but it looks like I can't get the fixed shelves to dado into the stretcher.
Maybe letting the thin strip down one side is the only way at this point, but...maybe someone has already done this?

Thanks for any insight and help!!
Jesse
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Is it possible to add dados to a stretcher?

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Jesse,

You were almost there with your thinking. Instead of using a fixed shelf, use another stretcher as a shelf. I attached an example of how to go about it. I used the Advanced button to associate Inset 4 to the front of the back stretcher. That way if material thickness changes the inset value will always be correct.

-Clint-
Attachments
Example.hsf
(324.02 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Jesse Ogburn
Company Name: Ogburns Cabinet Shop Inc

Post by Jesse Ogburn »

Aha! That works brilliantly! I must admit that I always thought stretchers were just for adding little bits and pieces here and there and I never payed that much attention to them. This opens up a lot of new possibilities. Thanks a lot for your help!
Jesse
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

You're welcome. An issue that may arise however is that a stretcher does not divide a cabinet into openings for doors and drawers. If you need to divide openings you can add a shelf over top of a stretcher and make the shelf a phantom part do it doesn't show up on a cut list or for CNC. You can then use the advanced tab to associate the shelf stretcher to the shelf, and lock the inset to zero, so when you move the shelf up and down to change opening size the stretcher will move with it. You can do this with both the stretcher shelf and the back stretcher. Makes life easier if you need to make a small adjustment on opening size. Then you don't have to go back and edit multiple pieces all you have to do is change one opening size.

I attached the cabinet again with the minor changes I made to make it a little easier to work with for dimensional changes and also an abilility to add upper and lower doors or drawers.
Attachments
Example2.hsf
(370.02 KiB) Downloaded 393 times