peninsula finished backs

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mike Lew

peninsula finished backs

Post by Mike Lew »

What is the easiest way to build a corner peninsula finished back with toe kick front and back? :wall:
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: peninsula finished backs

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Mike,
Could you post a screen shot of the layout or even better the job file. This would help us to see exactly what you are trying to achieve.
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

I'm trying to copy and paste, drag and drop, can't get image to come here. :wall:
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Post by tim lucas »

So you want to use a corner base and 1 side will be the peninsula, right?
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

yes. corner base, slab finished back, toe front and back.
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

BLS36 peninsula.jpg
BLS36 peninsula.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 11969 times
BLS36 peninsula.hsf
(480.02 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
can use this? you will need to add another cabinet to use just the face frame on the back and a display board for the toe kick then save it as an assembly
www.TLCW.us
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

Thanks Tim, Norton wont allow hsf file download. Just not my week.
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

Still struggling with applying a 3/4 plywood back up 4" off the floor. The corner cabinet in the library has a clipped back corner which I don't want. Why can't we just select a part and edit the size?
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

Mike Lewandowski wrote:Still struggling with applying a 3/4 plywood back up 4" off the floor. The corner cabinet in the library has a clipped back corner which I don't want. Why can't we just select a part and edit the size?
A little more info please. Are you using a display panel? is it associated to the wall ?? when in the wall view and the panel is selected, on the left is where the panel sits in reference to the wall - if you want it 4" off the floor, set it to 4".

You would understand a lot of the features of ecabinets better if you subscribed to the training videos and would watch 1 or 2 a day - makes it a lot easier :D

Tim
www.TLCW.us
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

Tim thanks for the reply, I have watched most of the videos, Can't find a solution for this. Mostly it talks about copying a cabinet, deleting all the parts except face frame, rotating it, align to part, blah, blah blah. I just want a 3/4 " plywood back. Coming from a 20/20 background, this program has really got me stumped. What would help me if I knew the "laws" ie: do this before that, do this in that editor, I'm not sure why there has to be so many different editors. Thanks for any and all who can help. p.s. I originally tried this software about 10 years ago, but gave up because I couldnt get even a basic design finished. Some of it was graphics card related, most was user frustration with over complexity.
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

Yes this is very complex software, the video was referring to placing 2 cabinets together to make one. But what you are trying to do is a little simpler.

Picture it this way, what would you do in real life to cover the back of the ugly cabinet?

Cover it with a panel made from plywood? Then add a display panel :D

I use this software for all my designs and that includes cabinets - furniture - blanket chest - even a little solid wood rack to hold jars.

You just have to get used to it.

Tim
www.TLCW.us
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

yes thank you Tim. I have added a display panel, but I can't snap or drag it into position
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

Mike Lewandowski wrote:yes thank you Tim. I have added a display panel, but I can't snap or drag it into position
Shift left click on the cabinet, the whole cabinet will highlight (not cross hatched, but highlight)

left click without shift on the panel it will be cross hatched - now when you mouse over the cabinet in spots it will light up Blue

left click on a corner of the Cabinet Blue - blue dot should stay

mouse over the panel corner that you want to align to the cabinet corner - it will light up Red

then click the alignment tool and you can align it
Capture.PNG
Remember it aligns RED to Blue - do not forget to associate the panel to the cabinet - I had to rotate the panel 45 degrees before I aligned it

Tim
www.TLCW.us
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

Thank you Tim for the secret combination!
also important was the distinction between highlighted and cross hatched. While I appreciate how difficult it must be to improve this program, it seems like a lot of tricky steps just to add a finished back to an island or peninsula. The journey continues...