How can I split this cab

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

How can I split this cab

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Have been working with this software for a bit now But I think I'm going to have to try a new approach to my cab designs. Our frameless cab designs often call for fillers at each end of a bank of cabinets. The fillers are installed flush with the face of the doors. The "fillers" often are used on all open ended cabs also to accept an end panel. I'm designing my cabs in the software using left and right face frame stiles as the "fillers". Problem is once I do this the software doesn't acknowledge different opening created by fixed shelves/partitions/stretchers. I have been able to work around those issues. However now a new issue of how to split this vanity with drawers of the left half and double doors on the right.

I was able to install a bank of drawers using inset values no problem. However now the software doesn't acknowledge the the opening for the doors as I guess it thinks there are still drawers there. Anyone have any suggestions?

First pic shows how the software treats the opening with fillers left and right:

Second pic is with drawers installed ...obviously
Attachments
Drawer door vanity.jpg
Cab only.jpg
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: How can I split this cab

Post by tim lucas »

You would be better off using a display board (if you use solid wood for fillers) or a display panel (if you use plywood for a filler) either way they will show up on the cut list and nest. Do Not forget to associate the display board or panel to the cabinet then save.

This would let you have a frameless cabinet with the filler and solve your problem

Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Carmen Addamo

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Yeah Tim I know display parts are an option. I was trying to avoid them as they don't resize with the cab and the software doesn't acknowledge them when placing cabinets in rooms. They may be my only option on certain cab designs though.
I was just playing around with the idea to make my frameless cabs actually framed and just set my mid rail/stiles to 3/32 wide which is my gap spacing. I then set those door reveals to zero and mark the mid rail/stile as phantom parts. Seems to work.
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

Try using a stretcher it will resize and if you don't want to nest it, make it a phantom part
Tim
www.TLCW.us
Carmen Addamo

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Thanks Tim the stretcher works well. Now I just have to remember to alter my cut list when I export it.
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

Carmen Addamo wrote:Thanks Tim the stretcher works well. Now I just have to remember to alter my cut list when I export it.
If you don't want to cut it - when in cabinet editor right click and select "phantom part" mark the stretcher as a phantom part and it wont cut. :D
Happy to see you have a solution
Tim
www.TLCW.us