ISLAND TOE

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mike Lew

ISLAND TOE

Post by Mike Lew »

Anybody have a good way to keep cabinets on the floor? When I shorten a cabinet in height, it raises it to match top of others. Could be detached toe. Also still looking for a way to have toe kicks front, back and side on island cabinet.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: ISLAND TOE

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Mike.
Have you tried using a detached toe from the standard seed cabinets
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

I believe so. My problem is that when I try to make a display panel for the finished back not going down to the floor, the heights get confusing because with a detached toe, the height is shown including the detached toe. Have multiple hts on the same job and things get confusing. The reason I fooled around with detached toe was to get the finished end and finished back the same height. There must be an easier way.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Mike.
Are you working in the room layout or Cabinet editor?
Everyone has a different work method but for what I think you are trying to do I would start off in the cabinet editor.
In the cabinet editor you can make assemblies with many units, display panels, display objects and it locks them all together.
Then you just pull the assembly into the room layout.
I like the cabinet editor because it has the align to Zero function.
The picture is of an island that I put together in the CE, I believe it is simpler now to place it in a room.
Hope this helps
Attachments
Islandfinal.jpg
Islandfinal.jpg (9.47 KiB) Viewed 11612 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

I thought I would take a stab at this.
The cabinet in the photo was made using the original back with the grain rotated 90 deg.

In construction settings I set the cabinet up as follows
In the corner settings I set the corner gap to 0” and checked mightier 90 deg. corner. This allowed the finished back to extend to the outside of the left back.

In construction settings

In the Back tab.
I set the construction for the left and right to butt.
I selected Back Flush for the right side

In Right end tab.
I set the bottom inset using the f(x) feature to be the Toe Kick height

In the toe kick tab. Under insets.
I set the right inset (the finished end in this case) to be the toe kick inset (3 ½” in this case) – the right end thickness. (3/4” in this case) This came up to be 2 ¾”. This gave me 3 ½“from the outside of my finished end for the finished end toe.
Click ok to keep all changes and exit construction settings

Then I took the left back into the part editor. Note that when the part is loaded in the part editor it says that the right of the part is actually on the left of the screen.
In the contour area I created edges and used the offset tool to create the geometry for a pocket that cut ¾” off of the right side (the side to the right of the screen) as well as the toe kick cut out. See The "Left back" Screen shot.
I then exited the contour mode and cut the pocket. Then returned to main keeping the changes.

To get the bottom of the finished back the same height off of the floor as the toe kick. I took it into the part editor and used the same procedure to cut the bottom off 3 ½” (the toe kick height) off of the bottom.

In the stretcher editor.
For the finished end toe. I created a stretcher/Sleeper by selecting the right back (the finished back in this case) and the right front toe. Then applied the insets and advanced settings as per the screen shot "finished end toe settings".

For the Back toe I created another stretcher/sleeper by selecting the left back and the left front toe. Then applied the insets and advanced settings as per the screen shot "back toe settings".

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Corner Peninsula Island Finished Back with toe.jpg
Left Back.png
Finished end toe settings.png
Back toe settings.png
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

I've approached island cabinets a little different. I build my cabinets with NO toekick. I set the cabinet height to be equal to my other cabinets (with toekicks) to be shorter by the height of the toekick. In my case 4" high. I make all my island cabinets like this. Then I use 2x4's and 1/2" MDF to create a base that the cabinets sit on. The cabinets overhang the base all the way around creating the toekick on all sides. I use this same method for floor to ceiling cabinets (linen, pantry, etc.)

Also, my islands tend to be wider then a standard cabinet is deep so I put 2 cabinets back to back to make up the island cabinets.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

Thank you Scott, that is the exact corner cabinet i'm working on. I'll try your system, but are any admins looking at how overly complicated this process is? Thank's Don but I'm looking for the ecab design process, not the actual shop/site construction method.
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

I was able to get it to the rendering stage. In cabinet editor, go to constr. settings, toe, uncheck "has toe", make height and inset "0", back to standard cabinet, load standard detached toe, change sizes, associate them to walls, move them into proper position. However I can't figure out how to save this island cabinet with recessed toes as an assembly for next time.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Mike.
That was what I was trying to get at in my reply above.
Assemblies are made in the cabinet editor.
As far as I am aware you can’t group units in the room layout.
So load your corner cupboard, toe kicks and panels into the cabinet editor and position them.
Hit save and you are asked if you want to save individual units or save as an assembly.
Give it a name then save as an assembly.
Then in room layout select assemblies and then load your island.
All your grouped parts come in as one.
If you need to edit the assembly in the room layout highlight it then go to the edit button at the top and it takes you back to the cabinet editor where you can readjust it.

Also( Please disregard if i have guessed it wrong) :)but I’m not sure if you know your way around the cabinet editor, when you have more than one cabinet loaded you have to highlight it by double clicking and using various combinations of the mouse buttons, shift and control buttons to move them around. (When I first started I thought you could only work on one unit in there and it took me a while to work out that you could load as many as your graphics card could handle)
Search the help button and it tells you how to use the combinations.
The video tutorials are well worth subscribing to for a little while,
(The tips and watching someone else can knock months off a learning curve) :D

Hope this helps
Mike Lew

Post by Mike Lew »

Thanks Mark, I guess I'll have to try it that way. I have trouble with the insert target xyz point. Since I want the toe recessed, is there a way to align the nodes or would I have to use the move increment method?
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Mike
Yes In the cabinet editor, the button at the top. Red arrow red dot blue dot.
Highlight the anchor unit. Click on the node. Blue dot is your anchor, red dot pulls pulls whatever else you have selected. Hit enter, hit align to Zero.
or shortcut, set blue anchor set red dot, then hold down shift, press enter.
Then to place objects into a position without anchor points I use the move increment tool. deselect the anchor item, set your increment to say 50 inches / mm.
Set your view top, front , back (so that the program has the correct reference plane. Hold down shift then press enter. All the highlighted objects move.
Hope this helps