Common stile between two cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Greg Julius
Company Name: OuttaCyTE Technologies

Common stile between two cabinets

Post by Greg Julius »

I posted a bit ago and pulled out a separate but related question thinking that would be better proceedure.

Using the same example as before, we have three 24" cabinets and are placing them side by side. Each of the cabinets has sides composed of 11/16 sheet stock.

When we face the cabinets, we would like for the stile between the two cabinets to be 1 3/8" wide with it covering both the left and right cabinet edges. One piece in the cut lists. Is there any way to do this?

I'm thinking along the lines of something in the custom layout that I would click the two pieces and say "join" or "merge" or "make common" or somesuchthing. Then have it appear in the cut lists as 1 piece of wood.

Right now, the only ways I've come up with are perverting the cabinets having a wide stile on the middle and no stile on the ajacent cabinet. How do y'all do it?

Thanks,
-g
Thomas Horency
Company Name: New American Cabinetry and Fur

Re: Common stile between two cabinets

Post by Thomas Horency »

I created a library of framed cabinets, made from 3/4" material, called "in-flush". 1 1/2" stiles and rails are attached flush with the interior of the cabinet. Reasoning is that it eliminates the "lip" that frames cause, bottom style on wall units are increased to 2 1/2" for light valance (rail ht adjusted), and when two cabinets are placed side by side in custom layout you remove stile on one cabinet, allowing other cabinet stile to cover the edge - complications to this you have to adjust the rail scribe on the cabinet with the removed stile, and it will probably affect door hinge-mount placement (one set of hinge mounts for the 1 stile cab may be on other cabinet-stile). This also eliminates the stile to stile seam. Still playing with this library, not sure if I can actually use it due to the complications.
Good luck, I will post again if I discovery something new-
JR Allen
Company Name: JRs Woodworx

Post by JR Allen »

This may work for you. you may have to change the materials, but essentially it's just a matter of deleting top & bottom rail and applying your outside scribe to 11/16
single stile base Base Framed.hsf
(506.02 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
single stile base Base Framed.jpg
single stile base Base Framed.jpg (15.94 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
Greg Julius
Company Name: OuttaCyTE Technologies

Post by Greg Julius »

Thank you Thomas & JR.

I'm trying to build out much like Thomas said.

The related thread to this one has some interesting comments. Ralph has suggested just create the face frame as a separate component. I've been heading that way. Still trying to get the particulars down.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Greg, if I understand the situation correctly, we work around this by making a 72" wide cabinet and at each 24", we would put in two partitions, one tab right, one tab left and put the "gap" between them at 0.001". Software works as long as gap is some positive number but in assembly, no builder can detect the .001' gap. Then add your mid-stile as desired. Parts machine correctly, can get shelf pins into each side without difficulty or make different configurations in each section, etc. Works for us to build assembly units instead of 3 separate boxes in this case.
Thomas Horency
Company Name: New American Cabinetry and Fur

Post by Thomas Horency »

Greg - am relatively new to e-cab and learning myself, other responses you receive may be from more experienced users and more useful. Something I've learned about this system/program is that when you have a design issue/problem, there are usually a few ways to solve it and each has its pros and cons - just have to find what works best for you. This forum is a good way to hear different approaches, many users/contributors very knowledgeable of the system.
Tom