opening locks ignored in excel batch import

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

opening locks ignored in excel batch import

Post by Mark Hesketh »

I have encountered an issue with the opening locks on partitions when importing a cabinet through the "import batch list from excel" button... it ignores the lock, yet says it is still active.

To mass-produce just the top and bottoms for some of our cabinets, I have created a model with everything turned off except for the back (which acts as our top/bottom), set to our 16mm case material. This way an excel batch can be created where the part sizes, length and width, match the height and width of the model (rather than using the top/bottom of a standard ecab model and having the length of the part as the case width and the width as the case depth). To cut the groove for the 4mm backer material, I added a partition with a full dado into the back, then locked the left opening, then turned the partition into a phantom part. playing around with the sizes in ecabs, the "partition" always remains at the locked 16mm from the left (back) edge of the part.

Now, after generating a batch excel list of a couple hundred parts, once that is imported all of the parts where the width has been altered have moved the partition... it does not remain locked at 16mm from the left edge (for instance, original model is 300mm wide, excel batch entry at 604mm wide moves the partition to 122.22mm from left edge)... but opening it up to check says that the opening lock is still "true".

Any ideas on where this is going wrong or what I can do to make it work?
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Re: opening locks ignored in excel batch import

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Here is the part I created... it adjusts fine in ecabs, but ignores the opening lock when imported from excel.
Attachments
FLOOR1L0W.jpg
FLOOR1L0W.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

oops, here is the .hsf
Attachments
FLOOR1L0W.hsf
(172.02 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Any chance someone at Thermwood, or someone who uses excel batch inports extensively, could take a look at this? Really need this to work in order to continue with the evolution of our processes in the shop (moving more of the production to the Thermwood), can't use it at all right now with this issue.
Thanks
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Have you tried a pocket for the dado and then constrain it as needed in constraints manager?
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

pocket cuts are handled differently than dadoes on the machine... takes longer, extra passes.

I have come up with a work-around for this part by adding a phantom top and bottom and then placing a stretcher between them, full-dadoed into the back, and locked to the correct location. after some preliminary testing it seems to work the way it should.

Still don't know why the opening locks seem to work fine for everything except an excel batch import. Worried that it will similarly ignore the opening locks on the more complicated cabinet models I have once we get around to using those.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

This issue will be fixed in the next release.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Great. Thanks Rick!