Door with mid rail

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Door with mid rail

Post by Denis L'Heureux »

Is there a way to design a door with mid-rail and/or mid-stile? I have a need to add a large end panel which is too large for a single panel. I would like to have 3 panels wide and 2 high....total of 6 panels in that display end panel.

I know I can add 6 individual panels but that won't help me when I try and get all the parts for the large panel.

Thanks
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Door with mid rail

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Denis. Unfortunately, What you are wanting to do can not be done with any of the five piece doors i.e. thermwood doors or Conestoga doors. however, you might be able to create what you are after by using a cabinet with just a face frame.using negative insets for your top rail, bottom rail and mid stile. as well as your mid rail i.e -1/2 to extend them to accommodate for the cutters. then in the door designer.create an mdf door from the appropriate material. then apply the desired exterior profile. In the door editor construction preferences.set the door inset to the thickness of your mdf door you just created. Set The gaps to negative the amount that you want the panel extended into the frame i.e1/4.
I have not actualy tried this yet, but it may be worth a try.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Denis,

Just wondering... Is this for "presentation" only, required info for a cut-list or are you hoping to be able to machine it?
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Post by Denis L'Heureux »

Not for presentation. For presentation I just made multiple doors placed overlapping so the mid rail/stiles would seem to be the same width as the rails/stiles. That looks OK. I wanted to have the actual parts in my cutlists for in house construction.

I will figure it out with my trusted Construction Master Calculator.

Thanks Brad and Scott