Can't Adjust Cabinet Opening

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Steven David
Company Name: David Construction

Can't Adjust Cabinet Opening

Post by Steven David »

I've been having the issue on occasion of not being able to adjust the bottom opening of a cabinet with adjustable shelves in the shelf/partition editor. In the attached file, in the shelf/partition editor, it shows the width and height of the opening under each adj. shelf, but if you zoom in on the bottom shelf there is a small jumbled width and height dimension, and I'm not able to highlight the opening and change the height. If I delete the bottom shelf I'm unable to modify the new opening. If I delete all shelves, then I'm unable to select the opening and add any new fixed or adj. shelves. If I go into the opening locks dialogue I can select the bottom opening, and it is set to false, and I can't figure out how to adjust this opening.

If someone here would be willing to open this file and tell me if there is a setting that is off or if this is a bug or corrupted cabinet file I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks.
Attachments
UnableToModifyBottomOpeningOfThisCabinet.esj
(392.02 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Can't Adjust Cabinet Opening

Post by Ralph Balanik »

I hadthe same problem as you did when I downloaded your cabinet. I could not under any circumstance change the bottom opening or add shelves after deleting them. I started with a new upper frameless cabinet from the standard cabinet seed library and rebuilt your cabinet as per your specs. I was then able to make the changes in openings and add shelves as required. Sometimes starting over seems to be the simple solution.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

I've had many inexplicable problems over the years with eCabs and found that just deleting the cabinet and starting over is the only way to move forward without wasting a bunch of time. Save yourself the frustration of trying to figure out. The only thing I've been able to deduce is that somehow the configuration information and parameters for the cabinet are being corrupted when it is being saved by eCabs.

I just finished and delivered a cabinet job where some of the cabinet back stretchers had their tenons removed and the dado's were removed from the sides of the cabinet. It only happened with 1 out of 4 stretchers on the cabinet but it happened on a couple of cabinets in the job. No explanation why or how this happened and no way to reproduce it consistently. I was able to work around the problem when I assembled the cabinets so things worked out ok.

I have the same problems with the configuration files for my CNC software. I can shut down the CNC and the control computer on Friday, start it up on Monday and nothing works. The ONLY thing that can make that happen is the configuration file being corrupted when it's being saved upon exiting the control software on Friday. Reading data files on start up does not corrupt the data.

I worked as a computer programmer for over 20 years so I know these things can happen. After all, there is no way things are getting corrupted when everything is powered down (unless there are bad spots on the harddrive where data is being written to, but that happened maybe once or twice over 20 years and it was during the early years of PC harddrive technology development, in the mid to late 80's to early 90's.)
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Steven David
Company Name: David Construction

Post by Steven David »

Thanks for the replying. I was almost positive this was a corrupt file, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I could do to fix it without starting over from a new seed cabinet. I've had this happen before on more complicated cabinets where it's time consuming and frustrating to start over so just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something to cause it.