Working with End Panels

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

Working with End Panels

Post by Carmen Addamo »

We use a lot of door matching end panels with our face frame cabinetry. I like that ecabs allows me to choose a matching door style end panel and puts it in place. What doesn't work for me is that if my frames have any more than a 3/4" scribe the end panels are always placed right next to the left or right side when I want it placed flush with the scribe. My only way around this issue is to make the cabinet an assembly. I hate assemblies in ecabs. Several assemblies in a large project is just confusion. Numbering cabinets and assemblies in the same project is literally impossible.

If I use a stretcher for an end panel and modify it in part editor it won't show up in the door list and is too easy to forget when outsourcing doors. End Panels are also not supported in part editor which is another issue. How do you guys handle door matching end panels.
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: Working with End Panels

Post by tim lucas »

Good morning,

Are you creating a display door like this and then using the align function ?

This cabinet has a 1" scribe on both sides and I added a display door and aligned it to the scribe on the left.

Tim
cab.jpg
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Carmen Addamo

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Tim, I like to make cabinetry that is resizable. I made a library labeled "door only". Basically just a frameless cabinet with no back. Depth of cabinet is set to 1/8" and the sides/top/deck are turned into phantom parts. So now I have a door only which the style of door can be easily changed to match the project door style and it is easily resized. That door will also show up in my door list where a display door will not.

I then use the align function as you do with your display door. Problem is now that cabinet is two cabinets and thus an assembly. Ecabinets can't handle assemblies and cabinets in the same room. It gets confused when you try and bring the project into line drawings for numbering.
This is where the "add end panel" function comes into play. It resizes with the cabinet and door style is easily changed. Problem with end panels as mentioned prior is they remain fixed directly to cabinet side.
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Post by tim lucas »

Ok I brought a base cabinet into the editor selected Doors/Drawers on the right side menu, added a Conestoga CRP10 door sized 24w by 29.5H (I have a 5" toe) aligned the door to the right side, unchecked all cabinet parts. That left just the door on the right side. Saved cabinet, created a room added another cabinet then added just the door cabinet adjusted spacing between cabinets as it did not want to space correctly.

The door shows up in the cut list like it should, you should not have to resize it as it is just an end panel and you should only need a base and different height wall panels I think.

I used global adjust features and changed the doors and it will not change but it does show in the cut list so it seems that would take care of all except changing doors.

You wont need to make this an assembly as you can take the Door Only Cabinet directly in the room, and resizing wont be necessary as it is a cabinet by itself.

Here is my Rt End panel only cabinet, I hope this helps

Tim
A door.jpg
A door.jpg (5.71 KiB) Viewed 10335 times
A door.hsf
(112.02 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Carmen Addamo

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Tim Thanks. That was a big help! Always thought "add end panel" was my only option of adding a door as an end panel.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Carmen Addamo wrote: I like that ecabs allows me to choose a matching door style end panel and puts it in place.
I know this is an older post, but I was wondering how this choosing a matching door style end panel and putting it in place works? I've been thru all the editors and can't find this. Thanks!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Carmen Addamo

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Don, when in main cabinet editor window, in the right side menu, you will see "display door" box. Open that up, choose a door style and size and create the door. Highlight it and you can rotate it and move it around as with any display part. Don't forget to associate it to the cabinet.

You also probaly know that you can also right mouse click menu in main cabinet editor window and click on" add end panels". But these are fixed right next to the left/right sides of the cabinet/ No option to move them.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thanks Carmen!! I haven't seen this before. It is all the way at the bottom of the menu and I normally don't use anything that far down.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com