Floor Moutned Closet Systems

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Floor Moutned Closet Systems

Post by Nat Wheatley »

I currently do a mix of wall hung and floor mounted closet systems, but am considering switching to strictly floor mounted units. I've added in so many steps to my wall mounted system to have full confidence in it, that it's eating up way too much time during installation. So, trying to settle on an efficient floor mounted system.

I'm considering a few different ways of doing it, but am leaning toward bringing all side panels to the floor, adding 2 levelers (see attachment) to each, notching the front/bottom of each panel to receive a continuous quick piece. Shoe molding will be used as needed to cover gaps at the floor. Higher end jobs with have a flush kick, wrapped with a base molding.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions?
Kick Detail.jpg
Leveler.jpg
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Floor Moutned Closet Systems

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Hi Nat,

I prefer to use a detached toe kick. I do not do a lot of closets but I have found that if you want to build tall units, some that go very close to the ceiling, it is easier to place the cabinet if you are handling a shorter unit. It can also be an advantage when sqeezing into smaller spaces to have a shorter cabinet.The other advantage, I believe, is that levelling a detached toe kick and then placing the cabinets is easier than trying to vertically align two tall cabinets. Levelling a tall or heavey cabinet takes a bit more care and is more subject to damage in my opinion than levelling a cheaper plywood base. I use a levelling device similar to yours and build my bases lower than the intended height by 1/2 inch. I put a levelling adjuster on each corner then bring all four corners to the desired height. THe other advantage is that I can build one base and set several cabinets on it. I usually use a cheap plywood to build my base then apply a finished toe piece to any face that is visible. I unfortunately do not have a picture to share but if I think of it I will take some for another post.
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks very much Ralph. I'm on the fence between doing a detached toekick, or not. I like the detached for all the reasons you've mentioned, the one sticking point for me is that it's one more thing to cut/assemble/transport. I'll likely try some jobs doing it each way and see overall which method goes quicker.

Can I ask what type of leveler you're using. I'm not sold on the one that I posted, it just looked like it may fit the application.

Thanks again,
Nat

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

I am not sure that this is much different. This is a product that I buy from Richeleau Hardware.
Leveler.JPG
Leveler.JPG (19.75 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks Ralph