Nest Diagram Inefficiency

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jim Augustine
Company Name: Augustine Enterprises LLC

Nest Diagram Inefficiency

Postby Jim Augustine » Thu, Feb 08 2018, 4:23PM

Just started using eCabinets 5 weeks ago and have run into this issue will performing a nest diagram (see attached). This is a cut line diagram as I am using a slider cut the parts for this cabinet. I know the second sheet of Melanine is not need since the only board cut from it will easily fit horizontally on the first sheet with out any cut line issues. I've researched this in the training videos and help files and haven't come up with anything. Any suggestions to get this on one sheet would be greatly appreciated
Nest diagram isssues.pdf
(142.71 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: Nest Diagram Inefficiency

Postby tim lucas » Thu, Feb 08 2018, 9:48PM

Check your material and see if you have the Grain checked, that will cause it to not nest on the first sheet. Or you can change the grain on that part to cause it to run the other way. Also if your collar is to big when nesting it will leave to large a gap between parts.
Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us

Jim Augustine

Postby Jim Augustine » Fri, Feb 09 2018, 8:53PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I changed the collar to 1/8 and 0 on seperate nests both horizontal and vertical - see attached, the grain has been set to "no" on all nests. Still get the same diagram as orignally posted. I am using the "Cut Line" nest type as this cabinet will be cut on a sliding table saw. My greatet concern is what will happen with a larger job and how much waste can be prevented with a more efficient diagram.
Nest diagram issues -2.pdf
(270.17 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Mon, Feb 12 2018, 7:58AM

Hi Jim
We have been using the nesting for a number of years to cut on a panel / slider? saw.
On a 20 to 30 sheet job it has more pieces to choose from, and seems to nest much tighter until the last 2 or 3 sheets.
In my estimation you might save 1 and a 1/2 sheets on some jobs and others it is tight cutting all the way.
Generally we do a visual flick through to check for those little "special things" that seem to be in every job and check to see if its worth adjusting any sheet cutting.
For us it sure beats the time and tedium of laying out the sheets manually

Jim Augustine

Postby Jim Augustine » Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:53PM

Mark,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have a 30 sheet job coming up which is why I wrote this post and my concern for the nesting efficiency. I'll just go with it and not worry about it.

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Postby Clint Buechlein » Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:09AM

Jim Augustine wrote:Thank you for the suggestions. I changed the collar to 1/8 and 0 on seperate nests both horizontal and vertical - see attached, the grain has been set to "no" on all nests. Still get the same diagram as orignally posted. I am using the "Cut Line" nest type as this cabinet will be cut on a sliding table saw. My greatet concern is what will happen with a larger job and how much waste can be prevented with a more efficient diagram.
Nest diagram issues -2.pdf
Jim,

Can you post this job so I can take a look at it? Either that or email it to cabinets@thermwood.com. I can't guarantee anything, but I'd like to take a look at it.

-Clint-

Jim Augustine

Postby Jim Augustine » Wed, Feb 14 2018, 7:04AM

Clint,

Thank you for taking a look at this. Attached is the cabinet file
Miter stand cabinet_ PH.jpg
Miter stand cabinet_ PH.jpg (9.4 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
Miter stand cabinet_ PH.hsf
(1004.02 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Postby Donald Thomson » Fri, Feb 16 2018, 2:55PM

Jim, you are correct in the nesting issues. I use Shopbot Link and have on many occasions saw nesting that could have been done to save sheets of plywood. I've had parts stuck into the middle of a sheet for no reason that I can see. If course I'm not privy to the internal workings of the nesting algorithms in the software. Several projects I did last year were 50 to 60 sheets of plywood. Nesting efficiencies would probably had reduced that number of sheets by quite a bit.

I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that maybe a future version of eCabs/SBLink will allow us to move nested parts around manually to make more efficient use of the plywood, especially considering how much it is going up in cost now.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”