Problem with Shopbot Link and Write to Shopbot

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Problem with Shopbot Link and Write to Shopbot

Postby Donald Thomson » Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:54PM

When I try and write a file to Shopbot for cutting, I keep getting this error. It is pretty meaningless as it's written and displayed as it gives you NO indication of where the problem lies. I'm sure there is something in the design causing this to happen. When the software is creating the code for cutting, it would be REALLY nice if it told you in which part/which tool/which machine operation where this error is being generated. My tool tolerance is set to .001"

As of now, I've hit a brick wall because I've got NO clue what to do or where to even look for the problem. :wall:

Any help would be appreciated, even though I know the error code gives us nothing to go by.

Thanks!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: Problem with Shopbot Link and Write to Shopbot

Postby tim lucas » Fri, Mar 16 2018, 6:24AM

Don,

It is trying to use a tool for an operation that is to large. Not sure what you are nesting but could be drilling holes, cutting dado's or outline.
I would try to nest one or a few cabinets at a time to narrow it down to a cabinet that is causing the error, then look at my construction of that cabinet and make sure I have my tooling set up correctly for each operation.

Don't forget tools should be larger size to smaller size in your database.

I think i noticed after the last update that a new setting for pocket screws was turned ON and i don't use them and when i added a door the hinge hole pattern was set up and i don't cut hinge patterns - that would cause it to look for a tool to cut that i don't have set up.

Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Postby Donald Thomson » Fri, Mar 16 2018, 10:07AM

Thanks Tim.

I've been working with Clint on this issue. The error is not happening when I'm nesting. It happens when I click the Write To Shopbot button. It appears that the software may not be dropping to the next smaller bit in the tool database to perform the operation. Clint is having the developers take a look at it.

This particular problem revolved around the use of 5/8" Appleply that I use for making drawer box parts. I have a 1/4" downcut spiral bit for all my mortise and tenon operations, along with slots for dbx bottoms. The 1/4" bit is actually .25" when checking with a micrometer. Clint played around and found that if I reduced the size of the bit, in the database, to .248" the error went away. So instead of dropping to the .187" bit I have in the tool database to perform the operation, it was stuck on using that 1/4" bit. I found a bit in my bit drawer, that was actually .247" diameter, changed the database to that tool and everything worked.

I'm looking forward to hearing from Clint on the outcome of this. May have found a bug in the latest version? The problem was showing up in the previous version of the software as well. So, who knows. Gremlins in the machines. :)
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Postby tim lucas » Sat, Mar 17 2018, 7:23AM

Thanks for the update Don, hope they get it worked out