Short cuts any thoughts?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Short cuts any thoughts?

Postby Mark McCallum » Sun, May 13 2018, 9:08AM

Sunday night wish list :D
Kind of a hopeful post, but most drawing and software packages either have shortcut keys assigned or the ability to assign them.
As far as I can tell there aren't many in the part editor or any in the Constraints manager, please advise if I have missed something.
We have been using both the PE and CM quite a bit lately and as I said to my colleague I never thought that with the older style interface, we could get so fast at using it, she agreed that we have really improved, and I am sure there is still a lot more room for improvement. :D

However If there is not a way to add shortcuts, I am just wondering on other users thoughts, and would other users find them useful.

I drew one possible configuration for the constraints manager and definitely the part editor could have some added.
Shot-cut-sugestion.jpg

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Short cuts any thoughts?

Postby Clint Buechlein » Wed, May 16 2018, 9:14AM

Mark,

I will pass your request and attached picture along to the software engineers.

-Clint-

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Thu, May 17 2018, 8:00AM

Thanks Clint.
I thought I had touched on a taboo subject. :D
However there is no point just doing it for one user, (We would find it a really useful addition) I thought perhaps others might find shortcut keys useful as well?

Do many of you other users on the forum spend much time in the PE and CM? or mainly stay away from fiddling parts?

Before we had our machine we spent a bit of time In the PE and Constraints manager, more for cosmetic display purposes, but now that we can actually output what we put in, we are spending quite a bit of time in there adjusting and tweaking sizes.

As I said above, before I posted these topics the other day, we were discussing how kind of primitively robust (I mean that is an admiring sort of way) the PE & CM worked.
Recently we were off-setting cutouts for inserts by . 25mm among other bits and pieces and it performed surprisingly well.
We also were surprised at our own progress, what we would have considered to be challenging tasks a few weeks ago, perhaps taking a couple of hours to do, was being achieved in around 20 minutes.
There may be hope for us yet :?

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Postby Donald Thomson » Thu, May 17 2018, 12:25PM

Mark, One of the things I miss, when using eCabs, is shortcut keys. I hate always having to take my hands off the keyboard to do something. Like you said, most all other Windows programs support preprogrammed short cut keys or user programmable shortcut keys. In a program as complex as eCabs, shortcut keys would be a HUGE time saver.

You've got my vote for that feature!! :beer:
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Sat, May 19 2018, 7:39PM

Hi Donald.