Dowel Holes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Troy Hollinshead
Company Name: Leidys Custom Woodworking

Dowel Holes

Post by Troy Hollinshead »

I've seen post's about dowels in the past on here. Can we get some kind of dowel system that works? Right now I manually drill the dowel holes and constrain them and it is a real pain when Stiles/Rails Change width or we use a detached toe. The new constraints in ecabs doesnt help and deletes all other contraints. I've attached a few cabinets in hopes that the programmers at Thermwood can get something working to make life easier for us shops that use Dowel pins.

Thanks
Troy Hollinshead
Attachments
FF_DOWEL_PINS.zip
(6.87 MiB) Downloaded 392 times
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

Re: Dowel Holes

Post by Thomas strembitsky »

could you use the kda/rta faster construction method and just modify the hole pattern to match your dowel size? this is what I use to add pre drill holes to my cabinets for easier assembly
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc
Troy Hollinshead

Thomas,

Its been a long time since I've set up my cabinet library. I can't remember all the downsides to using the KD/RTA fastener. I just applied KD/RTA fastener and without spending alot of time on it, It only allows me to put the hole at the top or bottom edge of the stretcher.
Dowel_Hole.png
Dowel_Hole.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
Thanks
Troy
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Troy,

Give the attached cabinet a look over. Try resizing if you do, any changes, etc. The left side of the cabinet has a modified KD/RTA pattern applied and proper inset values to place the holes in the correct spots. The only time you would need to change the pattern would be if you were to go with a different width stretcher, then you would need to add or subtract that difference in the inset values to place the holes correctly.

I don't know your library or uses of it, so make sure to give it a good look. If it works I'll give you the steps so you can get it done on your libraries.

-Clint-
THM_B39_34.5_24_4IN_TOE_BUTT_SPLIT_DRAWER_AS.hsf
(956.02 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Troy Hollinshead

Clint,

It seems to work. Im going to play with it and throw some different scenarios at it and see how it works out. I will let you know.

Thanks
Troy