Slow Cabinet

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Slow Cabinet

Postby Nat Wheatley » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 5:22PM

The attached cabinet takes a fairly long time to regenerate in the cabinet editor (about 40seconds on my computer). Its a version of a cabinet that I'll be working with daily, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do/change to speed things up. Thank you for any help.
3 Section.hsf
(3.79 MiB) Downloaded 441 times
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3

Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Slow Cabinet

Postby Ralph Balanik » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 6:14PM

WHen you say regenerate I am not swure what modification you are attempting to d obut as far as going in to ecabinets, and bringing it into "develop cabinets" it was on the screen in a couple of seconds.

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Nat Wheatley » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 6:19PM

If you then click on 'Construction Settings' the press 'OK', it takes about 40 seconds (for me) for the cabinet to rebuild.

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3

Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 6:26PM

three or four seconds -- didn"t have time to look :D

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Nat Wheatley » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 6:38PM

Wonder why on earth it’s taking so long here. Time to upgrade my computer?

Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 6:39PM

computer system.JPG
computer system.JPG (30.81 KiB) Viewed 12544 times

This is a snip of the computer that I run. I have a 2gig Quadro K2200 workstation video card. This may contribute to the difference.

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Nat Wheatley » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 6:46PM

This is what I'm running. I know very little about computers, but would guess that this was the bare minimum
Computer.png
Computer.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 12542 times

Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 6:59PM

It could be time for a new computer. The cabinet that you presented does not look terribly complex so I wonder what kind of time you wait for other builds to paint themselves on the screen that makes you think this one is so slow ? If other cabinets take a long time then the computer might be at fault but if it is only this one cabinet there may be some other issue. Did you build this from scratch or did you download it from someone elses library?

While I was typing the upper part of this message your system snapshot came thru. I would say that an upgrade, especially if you spend much time designing cabinets and room layouts will feel better than a few stiff shots of Jack :D . Otherwise, If you have a friend that likes to tinker with computers, a memory upgrade and video card might do. I know enough about computers that I buy components and put my own together. That is the only way I can afford to do it.

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Nat Wheatley » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 7:21PM

The computer does seem clunky with just about everything I build, though it’s been bearable until this. This cabinet is more complex than what I normally do, but it will be a typical cabinet going forward. It’s got quite a few part editor cuts to accommodate leg levelers, and many more parts than normal as I’ve combined three sections together. I build it from scratch, and it gradually got slower with each level of editing.

I’m machining parts daily through Ecabinets, and in the process of switching over to it for all my drawings, so it will be worth resolving this.

I won’t even tell you how long the computer takes to boot up.

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Postby Scott Marshburn » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 7:58PM

Nat. Have you tried defragmenting your system as well as running disk cleanup. both of these can be found in your control panel under administrative tools.

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Nat Wheatley » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 8:10PM

Hi Scott, I do that somewhat periodically, but will try it in the morning and see if it helps any. Thank you

There’s definitely something bogging down the computer, as it probably takes 10mins to restart after being turned off. I realize that’s probably sounds absurd to most, I’ll admit to not being computer at all computer savvy....

Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 8:42PM

Hi Nat,
I sent you an email, hope you don't mind. You might want to check your spam filter or not :D

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Nat Wheatley » Fri, Jun 29 2018, 9:12PM

Got it, thank you!

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Nat Wheatley » Tue, Jul 03 2018, 6:42AM

I've removed everything from my computer that I can, updated drivers etc. Cabinet is still just as slow as it was.

FWIW, I did notice that removing the 3 adjustable shelves (which place the shelf holes top to bottom) cuts the processing time in half), but all the units will have these shelves...

Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Tue, Jul 03 2018, 8:31AM

If you were looking to speed up your existing computer I might suggest increasing your memory from 3 gigs to say 16 gigs but depending on the motherboard, you may or may not be able to do that. I have a dell computer and they put a motherboard in that will not accept a memory upgrade. I upgraded a laptop from 4 gigs to 16 gigs and to be honest, I was disappointed in the result. If you talk to Dell they will be able to advise you.

There will come a time when you realize that you are spending too much time staring at the screen and being unproductive. Your system is several generations old now and maybe it is time. :?

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”