Shop Cabinet - Top or Side Flush?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Terry Thillemann
Company Name: Racine Woodwork

Shop Cabinet - Top or Side Flush?

Post by Terry Thillemann »

Besides kitchen cabinets I’m going to build some cabinets for my woodshop which will be on casters so they can serve as infeed/outfeed support. All the kitchen cabinets I’ve seen so far have the top between the sides which I assume is for side appearance.

Questions ... Is there any difference in rigidity between this and the top/bottom overlapping the sides? Would a solid 3/4” back help more than a 1/4” back? Would a blind dado joint help anymore than Festool dominoes?

I appreciate any feedback on the joinery methods you feel would be best for this kind of cabinet. FWIW - I’ll be using 3/4” plywood for these cabinets.
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Shop Cabinet - Top or Side Flush?

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Hi Terry,

I have attached a cabinet that I built to store edge banding in. I also set my planer on it then I can roll it out when I need to use it. I would say that putting the top over the sides in this case is stronger for supporting the planer. I am sure that there are many ways to reinforce a cabinet, regardless of how you put it together, that will make it strong enough for whatever you need it to do. I put a partition in which adds center support. I also made the entire cabinet from 3/4 MDF including the back. I find the amount of time spent trying to put a quarter inch back into a cabinet and then attaching it to the cabinet in a way that is sound is less effective and close to the same cost if you value your time, as using heavier material. I mainly build kitchen type cabinets and I use 5/8" material throughout. I also use KD fittings and lock dado construction. In cases where I do not want to use KD fittings I still use the same lock dado construction but I have modified the KD pattern to assist me in using confirmat screws to hold my cabinets together.
Edge banding cabinet.esj
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 369 times
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Shop Cabinet - Top or Side Flush?

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Terry,

I am guessing that the festool dominoes might be stronger depending on fit. I use the lock dado method because it has proven to be adequate with good construction practices such as using enough KD fittings or screws,glue etc. and it eliminates another process. Once I take the parts off the cnc I tape the edges install the KD fittings and assemble. The fewer times I have to handle the pieces the easier it is on my old body :( and I subject the components to less damage. I am guessing they don't give the Festool stuff away either though it may be a bit chepaer than KD fittings. I would also guess that it adds a significant amount of time to the assembly process.