Blind dado flip of not cutting correctly

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jesse Ogburn
Company Name: Ogburns Cabinet Shop Inc

Blind dado flip of not cutting correctly

Postby Jesse Ogburn » Thu, Aug 23 2018, 12:29PM

Hi guys, I have a little problem with blind dadoes when I have to do a flip operation on a part. The tongue is cut on the first side of the sheet and then when I flip the part to cut the thickness off of the tongue it cuts a big gouge into the part at an angle. I will attach a picture so you can see what I mean.
Is there something I don't have something set up correctly or is it something else?

Thanks,
Jesse
dado problem.jpg

Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Blind dado flip of not cutting correctly

Postby Ralph Balanik » Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:31PM

Really hard to know where to begin until more info is provided. What machine are you using? How are you setup? what kind of hold down system do you have? Are you doing flip ops first or last? Maybe a picture of the machine. Are you using different tooling for different operations?

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Postby Jeremy Schiffer » Tue, Aug 28 2018, 2:32PM

First thing I'd do there is measure the popup pin locations accurately and make sure they are correct in the THM software.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Forrest Chapman » Tue, Aug 28 2018, 3:38PM

Maybe something to do with the ramp in settings?

Forrest

Jesse Ogburn

Postby Jesse Ogburn » Wed, Aug 29 2018, 5:03AM

Ralph Balanik wrote:Really hard to know where to begin until more info is provided. What machine are you using? How are you setup? what kind of hold down system do you have? Are you doing flip ops first or last? Maybe a picture of the machine. Are you using different tooling for different operations?
Ok, I'm back...

1. I am using a model 45
2. I cut the parts out of the full sheet and then flip the double sided parts at the end using a 902 offset and a square
3. I have a vacuum hold down, or in the case of small parts a vacuum and double faced tape hold down
4. I am using a 3/8" down cut end mill for the blind dado operations. Since, I'm in 3/4 plywood that means that I am doing the blind dado tongue with one pass.

I don't think it's the ramp in settings because it does it after it cuts the tongue. It almost seems like the cutter compensation turns off before the tool lifts out of the wood. But I don't know why it would go back to it's starting point then?

I will include the thermwood file in case someone would want to check it out. It's the cabinet top, which looks like a stringer and also the partition that has cuts on both sides.
Attachments
Gabler-Vanity.zip
(302.22 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Postby Clint Buechlein » Wed, Aug 29 2018, 7:36AM

Jesse,

What version of Control Nesting are you on?

-Clint-

Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Wed, Aug 29 2018, 10:33AM

Jesse,
I am not familiar with your machine so I cannot offer much. I work with a ShopBot and I do a lot of flip ops. That does not mean that I haven't had problems. :lol: Some of the problems that I had were tooling size. I could cut with 1/4 inch but not 3/8. When I pocketed I had to change direction of cut from inside out to outside in. I also do all of my flip ops first then I only have to flip the sheet once and do not have to handle each piece separately. There were bugs in the shopbot link which I was able to discover with help from THermwood. Some of them may have been fixed in a new release but I don't play with something that works so I haven't tried going back to other settings. I would like to see the actual esj or hsf file because when I tried to load your twd it said that I didn't have tooling to do a particular pocket operation that you have in your cabinets. It would be more for my curiosity than to help you but maybe? I hope that clint will have some amswers for you.

Jesse Ogburn

Postby Jesse Ogburn » Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:49AM

Clint Buechlein wrote:Jesse,

What version of Control Nesting are you on?

-Clint-
I have v6.06, but this has happened in the last couple of versions as well. Generally, I try to avoid creating flip operations to save time so I didn't worry about it too much, but it seems we're doing more of that kind of thing recently.

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Postby Clint Buechlein » Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:54AM

Can you post the actual CNC code you ran? Unless you have changed it, the default save location is D:\data\Rolling_Nest\Cnc-Files. If there are multiple sheets, let me know which sheet it was on to save me a great deal of time. May need other stuff, but we will start with that.

-Clint-

Jesse Ogburn

Postby Jesse Ogburn » Wed, Aug 29 2018, 12:19PM

Clint Buechlein wrote:Can you post the actual CNC code you ran? Unless you have changed it, the default save location is D:\data\Rolling_Nest\Cnc-Files. If there are multiple sheets, let me know which sheet it was on to save me a great deal of time. May need other stuff, but we will start with that.

-Clint-
Alright here is the CNC code as well as the original Ecabinets file from which I generated the code. I marked the line in the cnc code with ### so if you search the file for that you can see the part of the code that is doing the odd cut.

Thanks!
Attachments
Gabler Files.zip
(653.98 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Postby Clint Buechlein » Wed, Aug 29 2018, 3:03PM

It wrote an odd line of code in there. Can you load the file into Control Nesting and then get me an export? Once its loaded go to File and then choose Export. Save it somewhere you can find it. If you can post it, that would be great, if you can't, you can upload it here http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/eCabinet ... FileUpload. If you have to upload it, let me know when you do.

-Clint-

Jesse Ogburn

Postby Jesse Ogburn » Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:06PM

Clint Buechlein wrote:It wrote an odd line of code in there. Can you load the file into Control Nesting and then get me an export? Once its loaded go to File and then choose Export. Save it somewhere you can find it. If you can post it, that would be great, if you can't, you can upload it here http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/eCabinet ... FileUpload. If you have to upload it, let me know when you do.

-Clint-

Here you go!
Attachments
Export File.zip
(195.02 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Postby Clint Buechlein » Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:56PM

Something is going on with the Single Pass Tenon Cuts being checked. I'll have to send it to the software engineers to have a look at. Looks like unchecking that setting lets it work correctly, just a bit more machining time to cuts the tenons.

-Clint-

Jesse Ogburn

Postby Jesse Ogburn » Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:30PM

Ok, I'll check that box and keep making chips! 8) Thanks for your help Clint

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”