Global Item Modification

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Global Item Modification

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Trying to change materials from the Adj Features >> Global Item Modification >> Sheet Stock editor.

When I highlight cabinets and go into the editor I press the "Populate Materials From Files" button and it works great.

If I highlight an assembly, the button does nothing. Doesn't import the cabinets sheet goods list, just remains blank.

It'd be nice if this worked on assemblies too. I've used it before but don't remember if it worked on them or not. Maybe it doesn't and I just don't remember. Works great on cabinets, does nothing on assemblies.
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Global Item Modification

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Leo,

It seems to work on assemblies in the Cabinet Editor as you can pick individual pieces or all of the pieces of the assembly. I'm not certain though why it doesn't work from Custom Layout. I'll have to speak with the software engineers if there is a reason why it doesn't, or if it is a bug. I won't know until next week though as software engineers are out this week.

-Clint-
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Thanks Clint. I'm sure they deserve the time off. And as long as I can do it somewhere else in the program that'll do for now.

When I build my kitchens I use materials that reflect the color. When I nest I need to change the materials so they come up correct in the nest.

Thanks, enjoy the holidays.
Dell Precision 7710
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Leo,

Do you need to display the color for renders or at all times in the layout? If it is just in render, when you choose Render, you can right click and choose Modify Textures. There you can change the display texture of materials, walls, floors, etc without changing the material itself. May be of help to you.

-Clint-
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I do that too. I don't really have seed cabinets because nothing is the same in my line of work. Generally I use Unfinished Maple or White. But every once in a while I'll use something else.

It all comes down to how the lines show up in the panels. Sometimes you just can't see them at certain angles. Especially if you are cutting out recesses in the part editor to form true end panels that aren't just doors slapped onto a cabinet.

But mostly when I'm just building the "look" for the client so I can get the rendering to them. After that I have to put all the details into the rending for me to build them. Offsets, scribes, single and dbl sided finished ply, drawers and all the inside of the cabinet stuff that the rendering doesn't show.

Doing custom makes it more difficult to use the seed cabinet structure. :mrgreen:
Dell Precision 7710
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
Win 7 Pro 64-bit