Shelf Standards or pilasters

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Shelf Standards or pilasters

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Good morning hive mind,

I've got some KV 256 Shelf standards to install in a job in lieu of shelf holes. What is the fastest way to set the dados up for these? Should I make a PTN and try to get it associated with a a part (fixed shelf, Butt joineryw/clearance) or use the part editor to make a dedicated set of gables and then add some constraints? Looking to spend the least amount of time on this, so If you have one made up already that I can modify that would also work. ;)
:beer: It's friday folks, and that means it's almost beer thirty! :beer:
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

Re: Shelf Standards or pilasters

Post by Thomas strembitsky »

I set up dedicated boxes and used the constraint manager to make my dadoes. it was time consuming. I used the 5/8 wide ones and found adding 5.2mm to the length of the pilaster helped offset the round inside corners cutting using a 3/8 downshear.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

I almost wonder if one could set up partitions, then just cut the dado and not the partition itself.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

If you want the standards running top to bottom on the ends you may want to try using up/down stretchers with a left/right orientation with full dadoes. Then set these stretchers to be phantom parts.
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

All great suggestions! I had worked on this in an awful hurry, and since the job was only 2 dozen cabinets, mostly similar, I used the part editor to strike the stopped dados in the gables. It took a test cut to really dial in the depth, but since none of the cabinets I was making for this one needed to bee parametric, it was quicker than I thought it would be. :o

I still can't help but wonder if there is a way to do this as a hardware PTN, so it could be applied universally. Hard to believe no one has approached this from that direction before. :shock:
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Just curious, is this a one-off project or something you are going to be putting into a production environment? If it's a one-off, have you considered using a router and a straight edge to create the dados? Or maybe the table saw with a dado blade. I've found in my shop for tasks that are one-off or limited in application, I go back to non CNC tools to do the job. Huge time saver over trying to figure out how to get eCabs or the CNC to do the operation for me. Just my opinion.....
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Stuart,

I did this in the past with a hardware pattern as you mentioned
KV Standard.jpg
The only problem was I had to apply a different hole pattern (for length) for base cabinets, tall cabinets and upper cabinets as well as different lengths for different heights of uppers. For a one off it is just as tedious as part editor cuts.

I applied the hole patterns to a phantom shelf. This allowed me to adjust the starting point.
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Stuart,

I did this in the past with a hardware pattern as you mentioned:
This is what I was looking for, I just didn't have the head space to get into it because the job was a rush job. I had 3 different heights to deal with, and made dadoes in the part editor to match them on a seed cabinet, so I only had to draw them once for each gable and size. When I machined them, however they appear to have had the dado fit allowances applied, they were wide by the fit clearance. Not ideal but It was a fast solution.

I am curious why you have the ptn drawn in that quadrant, rather than the x+,y+. And also rotated 90 degrees? I'm probably missing something there as far as machine theory. Thanks for the reply, and I will endeavor to get a good pattern going here sooner rather than later.
:beer:
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Stuart,

In the hardware hole editor I am not sure the lines are actual X and Y Axis.
As for my shelf, the pattern is drawn centered on what would be the x axis and runs left of what would be the y axis. This placed the cut on the end of the cabinet centered where my kd fitting would be. If I draw it on the left of the y axis it will place the cut on the shelf. This is how you do different hole patterns on different parts that a KD fitting would require.
Hardware Hole 2.jpg