Can't Add Drawers

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Terry Thillemann
Company Name: Racine Woodwork

Can't Add Drawers

Post by Terry Thillemann »

I've designed the following frameless half overlay base cabinet which will be used in my woodshop and sit on 4 casters so it can be rolled around. That said, when I go to add drawers, eCabinets does not recognize the smaller drawer spaces but rather the larger cabinet as one drawer space.

FWIW - I used a stretcher for my partition since I couldn't figure out how to make a partition which didn't extend the entire length of the cabinet. II believe I can make a smaller partition but would need to make a stretcher which extends the entire length of the cabinet first. In my mind it's easier to source/optimize smaller parts and thought it would be easier to cut all stretchers the same length. Do you agree? Is the drawer opening related to the stetcher versus partition? Is there a fix?

Base HO 7_7_7.jpg
Base HO 7_7_7_Drawer.jpg
Terry Thillemann

Re: Can't Add Drawers

I was able to add a partition which had a top inset by modifying construction settings before adding the partition; however, when trying to add drawers, I can only highlight the left or right side of the cabinet from top to bottom. Obviously the stretchers aren't allowing it to recognize the split area ... I can try to set shelf settings which inset from the front, add several shelves which are rear stretchers, modify construction settings to inset from rear, and add more shelves acting as front stretchers and perhaps this will work but is it the right way of doing things ... seems there would be an easier way??
Terry Thillemann

I was able to add a shelf with front inset but cannot then add a shelf with rear inset at the same height. I added a full shelf, assuming somebody will explain the right way and I can fix later, which allows me to add drawers except for to the top which splits into 2 drawers rather than 1 wide drawer. I'll keep playing with it but if you know the fix please do tell!
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

So I would build one by adding in a fixed shelf at the height you want the partition to be. Make the shelf a Phantom Part so it does not go to the Cut List or to CNC. Insert a partition below the shelf. Add a negative inset to the top of the partition to get it through the shelf. Add in your fixed shelves below to divide the openings with a back inset to get them to the front. Add stretchers for the back "shelves". Add drawer boxes accordingly.

You have seemed to discovered it, but openings for doors, drawers, and drawer boxes can only be created by shelves, partitions, and face frame components.

-Clint-
Terry Thillemann

Thanks for the reply Clint, I was aware of Phantom parts but never had any use case for them. I did as you suggested which did indeed allow the top to become one wide section; however, I'm unable to place a shelf/stretcher at the same height as the Phantom part which is highlighted Red in the editor. I suspect deleting it is not the answer ... I must be doing something wrong?
Terry Thillemann

I tried moving the Phantom part up 19mm, removing the -19mm top inset on the partition, and was able to align my shelves with the partition for the desired height; however, when I try to add a drawer to the top, it will not allow me to use the Phantom part area.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

You are essentially designing the cabinet the same way as your second post. The only difference is first adding the shelf as a phantom part, then adding the partition with the negative inset. You can then add your stretchers for the the top area where the shelf is. You'll then add shelves at the bottom to divide the openings. Then add stretchers to be the back "shelves" behind the shelves you already added in.

I've attached a sample cabinet that should give you something to look at and compare. Pay particular attention to the Associations of the stretchers. The are set in a way that if the shelves move up or down, or partition moves up, down, left, or right, all the stretchers will move with those parts.

-Clint-
Attachments
Cabinet.jpg
Cabinet.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 11552 times
Cabinet.hsf
(354.02 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Terry Thillemann

Thanks again Clint! This is exactly what I pictured in my mind from your explanation; however, I'm not able to achieve ... perhaps you can advise where I'm going astray.

I open Shelf/Partition Editor, Add Shelf, and adjust Opening Height. I go back to Main, right click, select Phantom Parts, set "Is Phanton Part" to yes for the Shelf which then turns Red. Open Shelf/Partition Editor, right click, Construction Settings, Add Partition Settings, set Top Inset to -19mm, OK button, select the bottom of the cabinet, and Add Partition which goes through to the top of the Phantom Shelf. I right click, Construction Settings, set Back Inset to "X", OK, and Add Shelf to the lower Left area.

At this point, I'm not sure how to move this shelf to the top of the stretcher which overlaps the Phantom Shelf ... could you clarify this part? Perhaps this is where you did Associations but I'm unfamiliar with these and how to make them or view them.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

The two small parts at the top of the partition are both stretchers for both sides. Since a shelf cannot go on top another shelf, stretchers have to be used to make them.

If you open the cabinet I posted, you can hover over each part and see what type of part it is. Associations are used for stretchers. If you go to Stretcher Editor, select a single stretcher, and then choose Adjust Stretcher. Below the inset values is the Advanced button. This shows you what part each inset of the stretcher is associated to, as well as which side of that part.

-Clint-
Terry Thillemann

Ok, I've got it now ... when you said add stetchers for "back" shelves I assumed the fronts where shelves instead of stretchers. :)

I was aware of the advanced tab for stretchers but assumed it was only to define the names of 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Thanks for taking the time to help me along and teach me some new things Clint!
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Terry,

You're welcome, glad we got you going. Stretcher Associations can really help with making a cabinet a much more useful seed. In your cabinet for example, without using associations, if you change any of the opening sizes for the shelves, you'd have to manually change the insets of each stretcher to get them in the right spot. With this example, you can resize in height, width, or depth and the parts should move accordingly.

-Clint-
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Clint Buechlein wrote:Terry,

You're welcome, glad we got you going. Stretcher Associations can really help with making a cabinet a much more useful seed. In your cabinet for example, without using associations, if you change any of the opening sizes for the shelves, you'd have to manually change the insets of each stretcher to get them in the right spot. With this example, you can resize in height, width, or depth and the parts should move accordingly.

-Clint-
I can certainly vouch for this feature. It has saved me a ton of time when taking seed cabinets and resizing them. Associations are pretty powerful. Thanks Clint!!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com