Crashing on save

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

andy photenas
Company Name: woodland Kitchens NH

Crashing on save

Postby andy photenas » Fri, Oct 16 2020, 10:27AM

Hello all, I have spent the last 5 or so years learning ecab. I got a new computer to try to help with the slow change from one editor to another or view changes too.
My new pc is fast enough to play most new games so I figure its enough power and speed to run ecabs well.
I am finding as soon as I get about one kitchens worth of cabinets into a room the lag gets so bad i forget what i was doing by the time the screen jumps 4 times and settles on the destination I choose.
It seems to be related to how complex the drawing is but im not sure if that is the cause. I have a lot of drawers with constraints on them also. (i think that is a lot on the program?).

I try to save a lot as the program crashes all the time now.
Now I am crashing on save nearly 50 percent of the time and loosing my work anyway.
I do run windows 10 but have no problems on any other programs at all. they run super fast and lag free.

Thanks for any input all.

David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Re: Crashing on save

Postby David Egnoski » Fri, Oct 16 2020, 11:13AM

What video card do you have installed on this new computer? The 2GB nVidia Quadro K2200 Graphics Card is the recommended video card.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Postby Clint Buechlein » Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:32AM

Also, regardless of the type of video card, make sure the driver from the manufacturer is the latest. Generally Windows will not install the latest, only what the deem the most stable. You need to look to the manufacturer's site for the latest driver.

-Clint-

Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

Postby Carmen Addamo » Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:57AM

Andy I have posted about this exact issue over the years with no real solution. We have had pc techs come in and upgrade our system, hard drives, memory and graphics which help some but still the issues persist. You can build vanities and entertainment centers all day long in ecabs but large detailed kitchen projects and equivilent, the software simply isn't up to the task.

For us the problems usually start to arise once we start doing shop drawings in LDE, Wall elevations being the biggest culprit of crashes. Once you get more than a half dozen pages in LDE combined with one or two wall elevations you need a back up plan.
Some work arounds:
Split the job up into two or more jobs. Job "A" has just the wall elevations, for example. Job "B" has just 4 or 5 other pages in LDE. Etc.
Print each page as soon at it is created in LDE. I try to save after each new page to risk as little work being lost as possible.
Everytime you create a page in LDE "print screen" and copy that page in a program like Infraview and save that in a dedicated customer folder on your desktop or other location.

It is a lot of extra work and translates to tens of thousands in lost revenue each year contributed to design hours but we have not found any other solutions. The above work arounds just mitigates the loses for us.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”