New User - Few Questions

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brandon Findlay
Company Name: Chestnut Grove Design Studio

New User - Few Questions

Postby Brandon Findlay » Tue, Mar 16 2021, 3:48PM

Hello Everyone,

As a new E-Cabinets user, the forum archive and tutorial videos has massaged my learning into a formidable E-Cabinets Programmer, so thank you! In learning this program, I had a few questions.

Drawer Depths: My company predominantly uses Blum Drawer systems that defines drawer depths as "Slide Length (minus) Specific Mils." With E-Cabinets setting drawer depths as a distance from the back of the cabinet, is there a workaround for using, ie 500mm slide, for cabinets ranging 23.5in to 28in without having to adjust the drawer back inset for each cabinet? There is a lock drawer back height feature but nothing for drawer depth.

Constraint Manager: When in CM, is it possible for the escape key to unselect a point vs clear the action? Similar to the Line Drawing Editor? So many times I've picked the edge of a circle instead of the center, and have to continually reselect the measurement tool. Also, is double clicking to edit the dimension a possibility? Just throwing out some ideas here :beer:

Line Drawing Editor: Is it possible to edit text after it's been written? As I'm creating a library, creating documents for the Craftsmen is usually done through the LDE and can be painstaking at times.

Base/Upper Cabinets in Custom Layout: If I've created an upper cabinet library from an original Base Cabinet, is there anyway to designate it as an upper? IE uppers are light blue in Custom Layout while Base's are Dark Blue with their respective settings.

Hinge Cup (see attached picture): Where can I go to learn more about this issue? I have a standard hole pattern, but for whatever reason it doesn't mill out the entire hole. 1-3/8" Diameter Hole, 9/16" deep.

Thank you all for your time,
Brandon
Attachments
Hole Details.JPG
Hinge Cup Hole.jpg

Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

Re: New User - Few Questions

Postby Thomas strembitsky » Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:48PM

For drawer depths go to the door/drawer editor and with out clicking the cabinet click construction settings and you have input your min increment for depth set that to the size you need for a 500mm blum intivo i woudl put 492mm and then every drawer you place after this will be that depth and wont change if you increase the depth of the cabinet

for your hinge cup issue on control nesting click on the drill bit icon "tooling" and go to the tool you use for pocketing and click the check box for interpolate. this will allow you to use a smaller tool cut a hole bigger then the tool size. also check if pocket is checked off.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc

Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Postby Brad McIntosh » Fri, Mar 19 2021, 8:20AM

Brandon,

Regarding your Hinge Cup Machining issue -

If Control Nesting has not found a TRUE drill with a MATCHING diameter to machine the hole, it will then look for a tool that can INTERPOLATE and has a MAX DIA equal to or larger than the target hole. If no appropriate tool is available to INTERPOLATE, Control Nesting will then attempt to use the tools flagged for POCKETING.

The important thing with the MAX DIA associated to the tool with INTERPOLATION flagged is that it should never exceed "three times the tool's diameter". (And it the tool can be sharpened, then use "three times the tool's smallest sharpened diameter" to be safe.)

As you may know, INTERPOLATION is: Plunge at center; shift to edge (with comp); cut circle; shift back to center; retract. This is why the "MAX DIA < 3x TOOL_DIA" rule is recommended.

Also - If you have any questions or issues, contact us here in the Software Group at CNC Automation. ( software@cncautomation.com )
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation

Brandon Findlay
Company Name: Chestnut Grove Design Studio

Postby Brandon Findlay » Fri, Mar 19 2021, 10:43AM

@ Thomas - Thank you for the Drawer Depth tip, makes total sense! That will save a lot of time. I've checked the control nesting settings and they are already activated.

@ Brad - Thanks for the information, I'll have to investigate further as my CNC machining skills are less than my E-Cabinet skills atm. For the time being, we'll transition to using a Blum Mini-Press.

Appreciate the help.

Brandon

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”