How can this be made?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

How can this be made?

Post by Gene Davis »

It is the slide-out part of a narrow base cabinet, the function is storage of spices and oils.

The slide mount piece on the bottom is desired to be joined to the bottom with lock tenon joinery and screws.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-07 224319.png
Gene Davis

Re: How can this be made?

Post by Gene Davis »

Well, I have a way, it seems a little tedious, but it will work to generate all the parts for CNC.

Three cabinets. One produces the sides and top and top two shelves, its bottom is DO NOT CUT material (DNC).

The second cabinet has its top specified to be the same size as the bottom of cab 1, and it has a stretcher tight to its bottom side with my desired lock tenon joinery. This cab only cuts the top part, with the other parts DNC.

The third cabinet is for getting the under-bottom stretcher part for cab 1. It is wider by 1.5 inches, and has a stretcher up against the top with lock tenon joinery, the end offsets specified so the part will mate with the part gotten from cab 2. As with cab 2, the one part is all that gets cut, the others are all DNC.

I will carefully check those parts from cabs 1 and 2 in the part editor, to assure myself the cuts are right for making the desired joint.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Gene,

While I usually am not always the best at catching all the details on the first go, I believe you could make this much easier using the Std Base Frameless cabinet. Delete the back, set your toe kick height to the height of the bottom vertical piece, set cabinet dimensions, add your shelves, on the toe kick tab set the inset so it centers or wherever it needs to locate, change the apply toe kick notch to None, on the left and right ends give them a bottom inset of the toe kick height. You can also modify the toe kick's left and right insets to get the overlap you're looking for on the bottom vertical. I believe that should get you what you want.

-Clint-
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

I've used the technique Clint suggested many times. Very easy to make small adjustments for hardware or fit.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thank you, Clint. I got it all figured out from your excellent write-up.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

I have a very similar piece I use in cabinets. I've attached the file. It's a drawer I made. Most of the parts are made on the CNC when cutting drawer box parts. The adjustable shelves are made the old fashion way, tablesaw.
Attachments
5-8 Aplply trash can dbx.hsf
(268.02 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
5-8 Aplply spice rack dbx.hsf
(360.02 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com