Forensic study of downloaded cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

Forensic study of downloaded cabinets

Post by Gene Davis »

A production sharing shop provided me with a library of cabinets, and while I want to build my own seeds based on many of the joinery features I see in these, I'm not seeing a way to extract joint settings for stretchers.

In the attached screen snips, note how the stretcher is joined to the end with lock tenons, a single screw at center (stretcher width 4.5"), but if I open construction settings, the settings seen don't represent what has been done. The lock tenon hardware hole pattern is set to one that drills a 1/8" through hole in the mating part, in this case the side.

I can open and look at the hole pattern, but am unable to forensically examine the hole to see its diameter or position. Is there a way to backtrack on such hole patterns to see exactly what WAS done?

How do you extract from a cabinet already built, what the settings are for joint fit clearance and joint depth clearance? When you are in the MAIN view, and doing a single part selection, and open construction settings, are you seeing the settings AS SET for that part build?

If you are, why isn't this working for stretchers for me?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-17 111337.png
Screenshot 2021-09-17 111158.png
Screenshot 2021-09-17 111103.png
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Forensic study of downloaded cabinets

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Gene,

Two things I can see from your images:

One is that the parts in the image are likely for a top, it is just set as Top Stretcher. You'd need to look at the Construction Parameters for the top to see the settings.

The second is at the top left of the Construction Settings it shows Add Stretcher Settings. This means the settings are only for stretchers that are added on, not ones that currently exist. If you want to see the settings of a particular part, you need to have that part selected, then go to Construction Settings. At the top it will say Selected Stretcher Settings instead.

-Clint-
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks Clint buy I am still unable to open the part and examine the settings used to detail it for joinery.

It is a stretcher in a library cabinet, the library from my production share center, and if I select the stretcher at top front (yes, it is a stretcher) of this drawer-stack base cabinet, when in main mode, and then open construction settings, in the right click dropdown, I get nothing that looks like the settings.

I then go to the stretcher mode, select the stretcher, right click and scroll down to construction settings, and still see nothing for the as-built stretcher.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Gene,

Can you post the cabinet or point me to the specific cabinet and library it is in?

-Clint-
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks for looking, Clint. I have since found that parts CAN be examined to see specs and settings, but one must be in the right editor to be sure.

One little hangup remains, and it is with parts that have been part-edited with holes, contour cuts, etc. There is no way I can see to get the details of, for example, hole location, size, depth, etc.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Gene Davis wrote:Thanks for looking, Clint. I have since found that parts CAN be examined to see specs and settings, but one must be in the right editor to be sure.

One little hangup remains, and it is with parts that have been part-edited with holes, contour cuts, etc. There is no way I can see to get the details of, for example, hole location, size, depth, etc.
Gene,

You can take the parts into Line Drawing Editor to find dimensions, potentially Constraint Manager depending on the part type.

Regards,
Clint