Don't Know
No votes

Total votes: 55

Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Which Graphics Card Are You Using

Post by Dean Fehribach »

I'm just curious to get a sampling of the members here as to which type of graphics card they are using.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I'm using one each of the ATI Radeon and the NVidia GForce. For the record, the Radeon is better. But when it comes time to upgrade again, I'll be getting the Quadro, based on all the hullabaloo lately about your slick tweak.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Douglas Walters

Quadro

Post by Douglas Walters »

My Quadro 1400 came standered in my Dell mobil workstation Laptop.
And it does smooth out the lines very nicely

Doug
D Walters
Wood Architects
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:I'm using one each of the ATI Radeon and the NVidia GForce. For the record, the Radeon is better. But when it comes time to upgrade again, I'll be getting the Quadro, based on all the hullabaloo lately about your slick tweak.
I have used ATI cards forever and have always been happy with them. I got curious though and tried some tweaking of my own.

I changed the OpenGL settings on my Radeon X300se to the highest quality with 16x Anti-Aliasing. So far, so good. Everything starts and runs without problems.

Then, I went into custom layout and created a single wall. Then, I went into detail room and added a standard base cabinet. That's when everything went ugly. Moving the cabinet caused a very "nervous" screen--everything flashed with each increment of move.

I experimented with various settings but nothing corrected it until I went back to a setting that was ballanced betweed quality and performance.

The bottom line here is that this particular video card, like most "inexpensive factory installs" does OK but can't be improved by configuration settings in the same manner the Quadro can.

This is not meant to be an endorsement of the Quadro or condemnation of the X300se, but an example of how changes can affect the operation of eCabinets. The X300se works well for me and the investment in the Quadro isn't warranted FOR ME...I'm not saying that others will not benefit from it. I get by with everything being "just OK" and, given how I see now (after cataract surgery on both eyes), that is better than it used to be.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

OOPS, I clicked the wrong button.... My desktop ATI Rad, my laptop Nvid GForce. They both perform well. In my case, if I had the same size screens I'm sure there would be a noticable difference.
Mike

PS Dean can you split my \" Other\" between the two above? :wink:
We love what we do, we do it well.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I was afraid to find out how the Radeon card would do, because at the time a lot of folks seemed to be having problems with them. But I got the 9800 as a Christmas present and have been thrilled with it. It's running in a 1.2GHz computer with 512MB memory, and the graphics portion of the program well outperforms my other computer, which is a 2GHz with the nVidia GeForce. Just shows to go ya...

By the way Dan, with your expensive new eyeballs I trust you won't forget to wear safety goggles in the shop? :wink:
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:By the way Dan, with your expensive new eyeballs I trust you won't forget to wear safety goggles in the shop? :wink:
How could I forget? I've heard Norm Abram tell us so many times that "...there is no more important safety item than these, safety glasses..." that I can, wel, quote it 8) (those are my glasses).
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by Mike Bowers »

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:I was afraid to find out how the Radeon card would do, because at the time a lot of folks seemed to be having problems with them. But I got the 9800 as a Christmas present and have been thrilled with it. It's running in a 1.2GHz computer with 512MB memory, and the graphics portion of the program well outperforms my other computer, which is a 2GHz with the nVidia GeForce. Just shows to go ya...
By the way Dan, with your expensive new eyeballs I trust you won't forget to wear safety goggles in the shop?
:wink:
Dan doesn't need safety glasses, because he just waves the wand and his jobs are done :lol: No fuss, no dust, unless he pokes himself in the eye with the wand
We love what we do, we do it well.