Holy #*&% !!!!!!!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Very nice detail Mike,
I can see why you are excited. It is the little things that make a drawing stand out.
Kerry
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Tom,

No. And with a CNC you can easily perform eased stops and starts too. Which is my next trick, I hope....although because I'm working with a virtual router I don't think it can happen.

Maybe v5? 6 weeks......

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Tom Houser

Post by Tom Houser »

Thats the way I have set up to do it on the pin router. 1 1/4\" ease in and out. It's one of those subtle things that makes a piece.
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
A person who never made a mistake
never tried anything new.
A. Einstein
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

No Tom,

The Thermwood router will cut flutes as it should. However, you should note that the display cube is for display purposes. But, If you apply this to an actual part, the flutes will be cut \"wrong\". It will route with the flute bit the same way so the outcome will not be what you want. If you use the router and apply this to a part you will only need to create the lines not the arcs on either end.

hope this makes sense.

mike

By the way that is an ingenious method to make the flutes to look right in the software. good job.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Tom Houser

Post by Tom Houser »

Thank you Michael. I figured that something as simple as a flute would be a piece of cake for a CNC machine.
Thom Houser
http://www.thouser.com
A person who never made a mistake
never tried anything new.
A. Einstein
Mike Farrington

Flute tools?

Post by Mike Farrington »

I am haveing trouble cutting the three point arcs. There seems to be a little point in the \"middle\" of the three point arc. The tool is not removing all the material from the round end of the flute. When I use a 1/4 diameter tool it leaves the \"point\". When I use the 1/2 dia tool it says the operation is not possible. I have tried offsetting the tool as well and I cant get the correct results. Im not sure what the problem is. My guess is that its right infront of my face and I just cant see it.

Please Help! I need to have this design done soon!
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

I needed some fluted columns for a job a while back. I just drew them up sent the file to Chapman cabinets and received fluted columns when I picked up the parts. Didn't realize it was a big deal. Forrest did you have this problem?
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

You'll need to post either the cabinet/assembly/part that you're talking about so we can look into it. Thanks.
Mike Farrington

pics: what is wrong?

Well after about 3 hours of trying to figure this out I decided to ask you guys. Any help would be great.
Attachments
I really cant figure out what is going on.
I really cant figure out what is going on.
Fluted Leg pic.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 9454 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Mike

Two things...first, you only posted a JPG...you need to post the .HSF file.

Second, and most importantly, are you having the part cut on a CNC or is this just for display purposes? If you are cutting the part on a CNC you DO NOT NEED THE 3-POINT ARCS.
Mike Farrington

I am doing this for display purposes. I need this to look very good. I know how to do stop flutes with a squared off ends and yes I know that a CNC will cut them that way. However I would like to figure out how to make things look really spiffy. As far as the jpg vs the hsf. I only posted this picture to see if it would help someone figure out the problem. Im not really sure what an hsf file is. Is it a pic of the part editor?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

A .HSF file is the cabinet, .ESA is an assembly and .ESJ is a job file.

I'm not exactly sure what you are having problems with from the picture you posted. Are you following Mike's instructions to the letter?
Mike Farrington

If you look at the top (rounded) part of the flute. There is a little point that is not being \"excavated\" by the tool. In other words, as the tool goes around the arc its not hollowing out the center. If you look at the pic I posted, you can see a little shadow line near the top of the flute. That is what is giving me trouble.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Exit the Part Editor and post a picture of the part from the Cabinet Editor. Things don't look exactly correct in the Part Editor.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I think I see what you are talking about now. Is the attached picture like what you see?
Attachments
fluted Column.jpg
fluted Column.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 9414 times