Corner cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Don Nichelson

Corner cabinets

Post by Don Nichelson »

I cannot seem to search in the archives for corner cabinet construction. I am trying to make a standard 24\" wall cabinet. My measurements are all off and I don't know if anyone can help me set this up in an easy fashion. Thanks.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Well Don lets give it a whirl. Lets start with some details of your problem.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: Corner cabinets

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Don Nichelson wrote:I cannot seem to search in the archives for corner cabinet construction. I am trying to make a standard 24" wall cabinet. My measurements are all off and I don't know if anyone can help me set this up in an easy fashion. Thanks.
Have you looked at the standard corner cabinet? It shouldn't be too much trouble to adjust it to your way of building.
Attachments
CCEcabs.jpg
CCEcabs.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 10586 times
Don Nichelson

corner cabinet

Post by Don Nichelson »

My problem is currently with an wall corner cabinet. If I want a 24\" cabinet with a depth of 12\" it seems pretty simple to me but when I put in these measurements I get funky measurements on the parts when they are highlighted. This is an angled front not a 90 degree corner. Basically the way I've done these before the software is to take a 24\" square and start subtracting from the backs, sides, faceframes to get your deck and top measurements. For instance, if this is a wall cabinet I know the depth is going to be 12\" overall, so I subtract 3/4\" for the back, subtract and 1 1/2\" on the other side for side and back, come up with my cut list and away I go. I am trying to go 100% cutlist off the software but am questioning these dimensions and it doesn't seem like I can fix it to obtain what I shoot for.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: corner cabinet

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Don Nichelson wrote:My problem is currently with an wall corner cabinet. If I want a 24" cabinet with a depth of 12" it seems pretty simple to me but when I put in these measurements I get funky measurements on the parts when they are highlighted. This is an angled front not a 90 degree corner. Basically the way I've done these before the software is to take a 24" square and start subtracting from the backs, sides, faceframes to get your deck and top measurements. For instance, if this is a wall cabinet I know the depth is going to be 12" overall, so I subtract 3/4" for the back, subtract and 1 1/2" on the other side for side and back, come up with my cut list and away I go. I am trying to go 100% cutlist off the software but am questioning these dimensions and it doesn't seem like I can fix it to obtain what I shoot for.
Here is one that I make. It is 12" depth R & L and is 24" wide x 30" long. You should go over the Ecabs help if you can't figure this one out.
It will help you in the long run.
Attachments
WallCorner 30.jpg
WallCorner 30.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 10600 times
Matt Beaty

Corner Cabinets

Post by Matt Beaty »

Hey there,
My name is Matt Beaty and I run a high end custom shop in northern nevada. I am having the same problems that you are and I get the same unusual measurements. I build a .625 construction using full dado's. I also use face frames and am unable to get a 24 x 24 corner upper without sacrificing my construction methods. 775.450.5877
Attachments
2424 corner upper test.jpg
2424 corner upper test.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 10514 times
2424 corner upper test.hsf
(500.74 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I think the problem you are facing is the fact that eCabinets automatically adds enough width to the sides to cut miters on them so when you enter that you want 12\" deep sides the materials show 12 3/4.
Kerry
Last edited by Kerry Fullington on Tue, Feb 27 2007, 3:53PM, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Sorry Matt,

'Got too busy to look at it yesturday. I'll take a look today to see if I can help.

Brian
Joseph Fusco

Post by Joseph Fusco »

Don,

Making these corner cabinets is pretty straight forward. As Wally said take a look at the help Manual.
Attachments
corner_cabs.gif
corner_cabs.gif (126.48 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Post by Chris Robinson »

Don, I have the same issues as you. I have had these issues from the beginning.

I'll do a test right now. I am opening the wall corner cabinet directly from the STD Cab directory and changing the defaul 90deg setting to angled.
The standard setpoints are L&R Sides = 12\", L&R Backs = 24\".
If I change the R-Front to 16\", eCabs changes R-Back to 28\"
I change the L-Front to 16\", eCabs changes the L-Back to 28\"
The picture looks right. You pull up the cutlist and it shows L&R Fronts as being 12.75\". In actuality, it only changes the L&R Back widths.

Now, if it doesn't act this nicely, the other scenario is:
I change the R-Front to 16\" and the R-Back will change to 28\"
I change the L-Front to 16\" and the L-Back will change to 28\" and the R-Front changes to some off the wall number like 15.5. I change the R-Front back to 16\", and eCabs changes the L-Back to some off the wall number. You then just chase your ass around.

Euro Corner Cabs:
I do have a bone to pick with the Frameless settings. I honestly feel that there should be a control added to the frameless corner cabinet's editor to allow sizing and NOT mitering the front edges of the sides! This defies all logic and is contrary to the Euro systems! You can't run a panel that has it's edge mitered to 45degrees through an edgebander!

I know that people have suggested reducing the L&R-Front widths to 11.25\" and then change the L&R Backs back to 24\" and it will be right. It doesn't work. The L&R Fronts will be 12.75\".

Again, the only time I have any issues with corner cabinets is when I want a different back-width or side depth than what is defaulted. The issue occurs across 3 different computers, 3 different processors, 3 different amounts of ram. All 3 have WinXP home on them. All 3 computers have the latest eCab version loaded.

If anyone can show me in the manual how to eliminate this issue, I'm all ears. But I've been dealing with it since ver1.

Chris Robinson
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Chris,
I can't make the corner cabinet screw up. It works just as it should.
If you have a left and right front of 12\" with a 12\" deep cabinet the back will always take up 24\" of wall\".
If you go to a 16\" left and right front with a 12\" deep cabinet the backs will always take up 28\" of wall.
Right now the only way to get 12\" cuts on your sides is to change the depth to 11.25 and your left and right fronts to 12.75
Depth of cabinet plus face of cabinet = wall covered by back
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Kerry, I understand the mathmatics of how the cabinet 'should' be constructed. The first exercise that I detailed was realtime.

As I type, I have taken a 45deg Euro cab into the cabinet editor.
I change the R-depth to 11.25\", eCab changes the Left Back to 23.25\".
When I select Left Front, Right Back, Left Back or Front Width from the pulldown box, eCabs doesn't change Depth:Right Depth (located under Height). The option remains \"Depth:Right Depth\".

When I change Left Back width back to 24\", eCabs changes Left Front Width back to 12.75\" & Right Front to 12.0\". At this time, the cutlist shows that the Left Side = 12.7059\" and the Right Side = 12.0469\".

I change the back to 12.75\", eCabs changes the Right Back to 24.75\".
I change the Right Back to 24\", eCabs changes the Right Front to 12\".

Should I continue? If there is a certain special procedure that I'm not following, or a computer setup issue, I'm all ears. I'd like to be able to modify corner cabinets without all the hassle! I have replicated the exact procedure on my laptop. So, if it is human error, at least I'm consistent and we should be able to identify the error. But it sounds like there are others that are having similar problems.

If anyone from the eCab tech support would like to call and straighten me out, I'd be delighted.

Thanks,
Chris Robinson
The Cabinet Connection
Wytheville, VA 24382
chris.tcc@earthlink.net
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Chris

Take a look at eCabinet Systems Made Easy in the Corner Cabinet Details section:
It is possible to specify any of the dimensions shown,
however, in many cases the dimensions are interconnected.
Changing one may change others, however this approach
allows you to specify dimensions of the corner cabinet using
the dimensions most available to you.
I don't think it is WHAT you are doing, but that changing one setting causes the other to change so the cabinet complies to the laws of goemetry and maintains square corners.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Ok, now I humbly owe you all an apology. I neglected to click the \"Depth Left\" on the pulldown box. I'm such a dumbass. :roll:

If anyone is having problems with the corner cabinet dimensions try this:

Enter your desired L&R Depths, then select \"Depth Left\" on the pulldown box, 3/4 of the way down and change the \"Depth:Left Depth\" to the same value as you entered for \"Depth:Right Depth\" and this makes the cabinet's dimensions correct.

It didn't hit me until I realized that as I was selecting the Front and Back widths, that \"Depth:Right Depth\" never changed. Even though I have been using the software for quite a while and have read the manual, it skipped right over me.

Thanks for enduring my learing curve, \"Realtime\"! :roll:

Thank goodness I found it before someone from Thermwood had to call and tell me I'm a dumbass!

Chris Robinson
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Okay, so it WAS something you were doing :joker:

Seriously though, corner cabinet settings have been a source of confusion for everyone Chris, so don't beat yourself up over it.

The only way I finally understood them was to click the question mark beside each setting then experiment with different settings to see how the cabinet reacted. When I saw a particular setting change another I dropped back to basic geometry to understand why that happened.

I probably spent a full day just experimenting with the settings and trying to understand the resulting changes to the cabinet--and I still get confused by them.