Insetting Cabinet Ends

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Van Meter

Insetting Cabinet Ends

Post by Michael Van Meter »

Hi Yall... New to the system and this forum and have a million questions already... Perhaps some one can tell me how I might inset a cabinet side to the left or right.. I want to run the deck and top long, inset the side/end towards the interior and towards the back so the I can add a scribe as panel cut betwee the top, bottom and on top of the end as an intergal part of the cabinet. Is there a way to do this by setting the construction parameters correctly and highlighting the cabinet part and then moving the side with mouse or arrow keys? Sorry I just cant seem to figure out how to get this accomplished...:(
Thank you in advance
Michael
Micheal
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Welcome to the family Michael.

Fire away with your questions but please, not all one million at the same time :lol:

You can search the forum for answers by clicking on the \"search\" link at the top of the page. Many times the question you have will have already been answered.

What type of cabinet are you working with--frameless or face frame, base or upper, \"normal\" or corner, toe kick or no toe? All of these have a bearing on how to accomplish what you want.

I'm attaching a small PDF I created for new users on getting started with eCabinets using \"eCabinet Systems Made Easy\" (located on the help menu).
Attachments
Getting Started with eCabinet Systems.pdf
(178.45 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
Michael Van Meter

Post by Michael Van Meter »

Hi Dan

Thank you for your welcome and your reply. I apreciate your attachement and will study the manual more closely.

As for the queries you had made: Frameless, lower w/ detached toe, not a corner cab...
In reality I was just asking one question and I guess that I included several aspects to try to clarify what I am trying to accomplish... obfuscation by to much information... :oops:

I would like to move the end of a cabinet in towards the center a couple of inches so that I can insert a narrow panel to act as kind of a spacer that would set the door opening off of the wall some distance...Any comments are appreciated

Thanks again
Micheal
Micheal
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Hey, I knew that was only one question :wink:

If I understand what you want to do correctly, you can use negative insets on one side of the top and deck (as long as you have top flush and deck flush). What this does is make the top and deck wider while leaving the cabinet size the same.

You can use mixed flush and have the top and deck flush on the scribe-side while leaving the side flush on the other side like this example.

To finish it off you just need to add a display panel or board for your scribe.
Attachments
Left Side Inset.jpg
Left Side Inset.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 6419 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I just thought of another method to do what you want.

Place a partition in the location you want and remove the end panel on that side. That allows joinery in the top and deck on the inset side. It looks the same but will probably work better for machining on a CNC.