Board Stock Questions

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Billings

Board Stock Questions

Post by Michael Billings »

I was wondering if anyone knows how to use board stock for adjustable shelves? When I dry to pick my material, I only have a choice of sheet stock and I can't get to the board stock list. Is there a trick?
Also, when you do 5 pc doors in-house, the program asks you what kind of stock you will use for panel glue-ups, if the stock is less than the panel width, you have to glue up two or more stock boards, right? The cut list only reflects the length of the panel and not the width. In other words, the cut list is the same no matter how wide the panel is. Can anyone help?
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

First, welcome to the family!

To use board stock for components that are made from sheet stock, you can \"cheat\" the system by setting up a sheet stock with the same dimensions as your board stock (i.e. 1x12x96 = 3/4 x 11-1/4 x 96).

On the five piece door cut list, it is a little confusing and looks like the calculation is not quite correct.

If you notice, the width given in the width of the glued-up panel and not the board stock. The total length given is for that width and not the board width. See attached picture for a better look. The circled area is the width I'm referring to here.

I will send a bug report to Thermwood for this.
Attachments
Five Piece Door Cutlist.jpg
Five Piece Door Cutlist.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 12528 times
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

So...

how do we now figure the correct board ft with this unique situation. It appears that the board stock is way off but the inches may be more accurate. But then again yea just like I said Hu???

Just makes me wonder how this can change, if the material calculation is a subroutine based on a data base. Why the changes to begin with... Things that make you go Huuuuu?

We still need to know how to figure Bd ft with this.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Michael Rodgers

Post by Michael Rodgers »

Wouldn't it make more sense to be able to input solid material in the way it is bought.....by the square foot. It sure would make setting up the materials easier.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael Rodgers wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to be able to input solid material in the way it is bought.....by the square foot. It sure would make setting up the materials easier.
But just what is a square foot? Is it 12 inches long by 1 inch wide, 6 inches long by 2 inches wide, 4 inches long by 3 inches wide?

The software must have size constraints to work with to calculate materials, create cut lists and nest diagrams. The size constraints must be well defined (as in width, length and thickness) and not vague (as in square feet or board feet).

You build cabinets from very specific dimensional materials and not vague SELLING quantities. For example, could your new inexperienced employee build a cabinet correctly if you just told him to build it from 12 square feet of maple? I doubt it. It is the same with software. You have to be very specific in what you want so the software can build what you ask it to.
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Dan
I think another way to put what I think they are tyring to get at is putting materials in as the sizes are now but outputting it in board ft + the extra % you tell it for waste. not in individual sticks you have to add up to figure out the board footage.

And one other thing in the area where you add materials why are there zeros already in the boxes it is a pain in the ass to have to go back and take the zero out or else you end up with 480\" sheets that take up a lot of room in the cutlist area.

Brian
Wood is wood , Particle Board is just dust !
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Brian Bauer wrote:Dan
I think another way to put what I think they are tyring to get at is putting materials in as the sizes are now but outputting it in board ft + the extra % you tell it for waste. not in individual sticks you have to add up to figure out the board footage.

And one other thing in the area where you add materials why are there zeros already in the boxes it is a pain in the ass to have to go back and take the zero out or else you end up with 480" sheets that take up a lot of room in the cutlist area.

Brian
Ideally, you would be able to choose how you wanted the output--sticks, linear feet (inches, meters?) or board feet. There is no way around having to define each stick size though.

On your second point, I'm not sure what you are talking about. When I define materials the fields are all blank. I just pick a similar material to "clone", using it to fill all of the boxes, change the name and image, then click the "Add" button.

Even if they were filled with zeroes, you can tab from field to field and the existing value is highlighte so you can just key over it.
Michael Rodgers

Brian is right, what I meant was being able to input in board feet and output in finished size for a cutlist. And then have the computer add up the lengths needed plus a % waste and thats how much you need to buy and charge for and have this number in board foot. Sorry for being a little vague with that.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael Rodgers wrote:Brian is right, what I meant was being able to input in board feet and output in finished size for a cutlist. And then have the computer add up the lengths needed plus a % waste and thats how much you need to buy and charge for and have this number in board foot. Sorry for being a little vague with that.
I still think I must be misunderstanding you. When you say "...input in board feet...", do you mean define your materials in board feet?

If so, this is exactly what Brian and I are both saying that you cannot do. Getting a cutlist that shows board feet is one thing but the software must have specific dimensions to work with when creating cabinets.
Michael Rodgers

What I mean is the cost input in board foot, I realize that the program won't do it, it would be great if you could. I guess I was trying to say this would be a great add on. Did not mean to cause a lot of confusion. This is the way my copy of cabnet____ operates and I really like the idea.

-
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Now I'm with you...sorry, I'm like a big ship--I get headed in one direction and it takes a while for me to change directions :wink:

In my opinion, the way cost is entered should also be an option. If you want to enter it in board feet, so be it. If you want to enter it in linear feet (or inches), that's okay too. Heck, even allow us to enter it by the stick if anyone wants it that way.

In the end the cost is still the same as far as the software is concerned.

I think those two options (this and the ability to choose display style in cutlists) would make a lot of users happy.
Dickey Beckham

Post by Dickey Beckham »

Thanks to Dans little trick of \"cheat\" the system.
I can now see my drawer boxes on the sheet summary Thank, Dan
but now, I only use slab Drawer Fronts how can i get them to show up on the sheet or board stock summary.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Dickey Beckham wrote:Thanks to Dans little trick of "cheat" the system.
I can now see my drawer boxes on the sheet summary Thank, Dan
but now, I only use slab Drawer Fronts how can i get them to show up on the sheet or board stock summary.
If you are using slab drawer fronts they should already be listed in the sheet stock summary. For details look in the "Sheet Component Listing" and "Door and Drawer Fronts - Build In House" sections.

I suggest naming the material so that it is apparent that it is actually board stock even though it shows up in the sheet stock summary.
Dickey Beckham

Post by Dickey Beckham »

Ok thanks
I am trying to see it to help calculate the board foot I have tryed to change it by changing the Delails for cut list and it comes up with only 5 piece door fornts are supported in the cut list delailing. it is in the sheet summary but it is mixed in with ever thing. maybe on V13 or so.
Thank
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I agree that the quantity could be given to complete the job totals. As that is the way we order our lumber not in Ln inches.

I can see using a form of integrated means to allow the user to enter their totals on hand and deduct it from inventory and exported these data base to say Quick books. The software can be used cooperatively together with accounting software.

My inventory is done by another software. Can e_cabinets (with permission of course) import and export that data? And with this order feature within the software.

Just another thought.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650